Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Juice to Starter -01 Cherokee 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default No Juice to Starter -01 Cherokee 4.0

All of a sudden the starter won't turn. Here's what I did so far:
- key turns on lights and aux, but not starter (no clicking solenoid, etc)
- battery is fully charged
- moved/jiggled floor shifter from park & neutral while trying to start (backup lights work when shifted to reverse so I don't suspect trans. switch)
- all fuses are good; replaced starter relay as possible fix
- pulled starter and it checked out fine in Autozones test machine
- Can't find anything that looks bad.
==> Status: I have the starter off with a meter connected to the starter wires. I'm trying to get it to read 12V when the key is turned to start. Is there any way to test the circuit from the key down? My Haynes manual is no help. Thanks in advance for your help. - Peter
Old 12-25-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter relay?
Old 12-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

He already said he replaced the starter relay, read the post
Old 12-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Apologies for my previous post, I was on a dumb smartphone.

Computer is fired up now, so;

Check you have 12v at the yellow cable at your ignition switch when in the start position. This yellow cable supplies fuse 19 in your junction block. Fuse 19 supplies the starting relay coil via a yellow/red cable. The other side of your starting relay coil is earthed via your NSS. Fuse 10 in your PDC supplies permanent 12v to your starting relay (yellow cable), and the coil switches this to the starter (brown cable).

Hope that's more helpful.

Rob
Old 12-25-2010, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

did you check to see if you get 12volts to the small wire on the start when you turn key to start
Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Default Update

Thanks for your help - didn't know that fuse 10 was involved in starter relay - the fuse is good. I reinstalled the starter and I'm checking the ignition switch. Have one ordered and will probably install today. Where do I check the yellow wire coming out of the starter switch? Only other possibility is the park/neutral switch, but I'll try the starter switch first. - Peter
Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

did you check that your grounds are intact and in good condition?

There are two that usually cause starting issues. One is a thick black wire at the Battery (-) post running to the fender, the other is a copper strap at the rear of the valve cover running to the firewall. Clean up the contact points with some sandpaper and reattach. Recommend also wiping on some dielectric grease before re-installation.

Also, clean the battery terminals REALLY well with sandpaper or a terminal tool - even if they look ok, just do it, there can be an invisible layer that forms blocking *most* of the current from flowing, enough to not start, but not enough that the electronics are dead too. Recommend also wiping on some dielectric grease or battery terminal grease before re-installation.

If that doesn't work, replace the terminals. Same reason as above...they're cheap...i've saved people a $200+ repair bill by spending $4.30. Sometimes cleaning them just doesn't work. Recommend also wiping on some dielectric grease or battery terminal grease before re-installation.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM

You could unplug the starter relay and check the terminals of the socket. With the ignition off, you should have one terminal at 12 volt positive. With the ignition at start, two of the terminals should have 12 volt positive. With those identified, you could check that one of the other terminals is shorted to the body, this would be the negative to the relay coil (via the NSS).

Rob
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Eureka! Now starting the Jeep with a Screwdriver!

First of all thanks for your posts - especially Rob. It's been a long time since I've started a car with a screwdriver, but thats what it takes at the moment.
I learned a lot about the starting system on the way to finding that the problem was mechanical. Very frustrating. I removed the key lock cylinder and the starter switch on the other side of the steering column.
I didn't see it right away, but the shaft on the housing between the two had broken and did not engage the starter switch properly. It is made of cheap white metal and I have a 1/2 inch shard that fell on the floor mat.
Anyway, the Jeep willingly sprang to life when I turned the coupling in the starter switch to start with a screw driver of the right size. My main problem now is to find a replacement housing between key cylinder and starting switch.
In the olden days, I would have just used the screw driver for the remainder of the Jeeps 250,000+ miles except that: it's driven by my son who would lose the screw driver and NY state would not pass it in inspection, even though I have a 357 that would protect it from theft. Have a happy New Year! - Peter
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L
Default Me, too...sort of

Its always good to hear that other JEEP Cherokee owners have the same problems I have!

My 2000 Cherokee did not start yestarday. Starter did not turn. My guess was the starter relay/solenoid. I'm lucky enough that I could drive a 2nd car, so I just went to work and abandoned the JEEP.

When I got home...guess what? The JEEP started right up. No problems!!!

I check all connections SEEM to be OK. Do I just clean up the battery terminals and the ground connection and pray??
Old 01-05-2011, 11:51 AM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

check it:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145815
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Default Final solution

Again, thanks for your posts. The Jeep is now starting with a key, but the fix was not easy. The shaft between the lock cylinder and ignition switch was not easy to replace - it's housed in a plastic housing with several springs; it is not available through a dealer. I had to purchase an entire steering column at a junkyard and the metal housing could not be removed from the column. To get the part , I had to remove the lock cylinder & ignition switch and carefully extract the plastic housing/shaft/springs and insert it into my Jeeps steering column. It was more like repairing a watch and it took many tries to get it right. Thank goodness this is an uncommon problem - I suspect that it broke because my son used excess force when turning the key or perhaps the metal was weak. So turn your key gently. - Peter

PS - I'd be glad to donate any steering column parts for postage if you're in need.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the final post, Peter.

I've driven the JEEP all week now with it starting just fine. I'm guessing your problem was quite a bit different from mine.

I'm never sure if problems that fix themself are good or not. I like not having to pay money and not having to do work. I don't like driving an unreliable car, though.

Thanks again!