Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No heat in my Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No heat in my Cherokee

I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee and I need some help with the **** box I replaced the heater core a couple months back and that concluded of taking the dash out. Well anyway I had almost everything hooked back up after doing the job and the heat worked great except I only had defrost so I found the vacuum plug that goes on back of the vent/ temperature controller plugged it back into its spot into the controller. Now I have nothing it seems the blend door won’t even open to let air into the vents and help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-29-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

1) You do have vacuum there (and at the actuators), right?
2) Is the actuator and rod hooked up to the door by the passenger's kick panel? That operates the outside air. Check the damper to make sure it's moving it's full stroke.
3) When you did the job, did you check all the heater box damper doors to make sure the foam was good?
4) What about the valve up by the firewall (open?)
5) Heater hoses hot?
Old 01-29-2019, 08:23 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

My 1989 XJ Laredo had lost functionality of the metal in plastic sleeve to open the connection for heat. Is there any stiffness to the temperature control?
Old 01-29-2019, 08:26 AM

1. I’m pretty sure I have vacuum going there how can I check?
2. The orange vacuum line that goes to that aviator won’t reach no more and I think it’s pinched from putting that h vac box back in after heater core job.
3. No when I did the job I did not check anything all I did was blew it out with some air and changed the heater core.
4. Idk where to look if it’s open it that the one that lets air through to the defrost? I doubt it is since I’m getting no air.
5. Heater hoses get hot yes.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by gat
My 1989 XJ Laredo had lost functionality of the metal in plastic sleeve to open the connection for heat. Is there any stiffness to the temperature control?
You talking about the wire that runs down the dash to control the air temperature from the climate controller.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 AM
gat

Originally Posted by Cody Huellinghoff
You talking about the wire that runs down the dash to control the air temperature from the climate controller.
Yes. I couldn't find a better link readily than this... https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/CABLE-Temperature-Control/6760064/55037398AA.html.

Do you have any moving air on heat or cold? If you can't even hear the air blowing from the blower motor/fan, then it may be something as simple as the connector to the blower motor resistor isn't fully plugged. I also lost some speeds on my Wrangler due to overheating from the blower motor going out. Try all air speeds in hot and cold air if you can't seem to get the blower motor to spin in it's current speed.

Last edited by gat; 01-29-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by gat
Yes. I couldn't find a better link readily than this... https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/CABLE-Temperature-Control/6760064/55037398AA.html.

Do you have any moving air on heat or cold? If you can't even hear the air blowing from the blower motor/fan, then it may be something as simple as the connector to the blower motor resistor isn't fully plugged. I also lost some speeds on my Wrangler due to overheating from the blower motor going out. Try all air speeds in hot and cold air if you can't seem to get the blower motor to spin in it's current speed.
The blower motor still works I can hear it as clear as day only thing I’m having problems im have is air will not come through any vents whats so ever. So I’m thinking a blend door maybe?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 AM
gat

Originally Posted by Cody Huellinghoff
The blower motor still works I can hear it as clear as day only thing I’m having problems im have is air will not come through any vents whats so ever. So I’m thinking a blend door maybe?
That may be it, but I thought that the air goes up and to the side separately.

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=873903&ukey_make=1 097&ukey_model=15916&modelYear=1992&ukey_category= 22686&ukey_driveLine=9359

If it is blowing, but not escaping, then I don't think that there is any solution without re-removal... Sorry.