Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation will crank but no fire

ok guys this is my first jeep.really want to get it going but have no spark. i was told to change my crank ps did that still no spark looks like it has a new coil where should i go from here anything helps thanks

Last edited by first time jeeper; 07-06-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:37 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

Please realize im not assuming that your a total newbie to enigines and their working but its better to state out the basic check list so that if anyone reading this will see it.
Did you change the cap and rotor? What other items have you checked?

I would start with the basics.

Make sure that the battery is in a good state of charge. I know that I have cranked a battery down to where the coil would barely be powered in despiration to get it running.

Check to make sure that in "key on", you have juice to the coil. Check to make sure that the plugs going into the coil and distributor stator are firmly in. Check the coil by testing it for the correct resistance. If you have a Chiltons or Haynes manual it will state the ohms specs for testing and what contacts are what for your year. If they are in spec then I would just for giggles check the rest of the wire loom. Make sure all connections are tight. The connector going through the firewall has also been known to corrode and give no spark.

You stated that the CPS was replaced. Some people have had issues with the connector going to that and have altogether cut the connector out and spliced it. If during cranking u should see a spike in voltage, not a high spike, but rather a few teths of a volt for a blink of an eye while its cranking. If not, check resistance from the jeep side of the connector. The rating should be 200 Ohms +/- 75 ohms. If its within that tolerance then the connector is good. If not in that tolerance then disconnect the connector and test the CPS itself. Its been known to happen that people get a bad CPS right out of the box. Rare but it happens.

that should get you started on getting her going. If you have gone that far and still havent figured it out then Im sure the others here who are far more informed then I will be able to guide you further..
Old 07-06-2009, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by first time jeeper
ok guys this is my first jeep.really want to get it going but have no spark. i was told to change my crank ps did that still no spark looks like it has a new coil where should i go from here anything helps thanks
What year is your Cherokee?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:48 PM

its a 1990 laredo
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by first time jeeper
its a 1990 laredo
I was going to send you a pdf manual but I don't have that year. Sorry. Closest I have is '88 and '93. If you think they will help I'll send them.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

the 88 should help him and I have a pdf version too but dambed if I know what drive its on right now... It should help him troubleshoot the basics and guide him in the right direction.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bishop letov
the 88 should help him and I have a pdf version too but dambed if I know what drive its on right now... It should help him troubleshoot the basics and guide him in the right direction.
Then I'll send it to him in a Private Message. Thanks.