Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Crank No Start No lights Good Bat Good Terms

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default No Crank No Start No lights Good Bat Good Terms

Hey Guys i Really need some help. Today i was on my way home from work and stopped at my old work to drop off a tool and bs with my old coworkers. i shut my jeep off went inside for maybe an hour. When i came out and tried to start my jeep nothing. no dash lights no dome light nothing. i went and grabbed a jump box starts right up. So i figured its gotta be the battery. Through it on the tester with the cables connected got nothing. When i disconnected the terminals i got 12 volts and 750 CCA's. So then i noticed some corrosion on the ground wires going into the terminal. so i pulled them out cleaned them up put them back. Jeep starts up. problem solved...not. I left it running while i put my tools away and just for ****s and giggles i shut it off and tried to start it again. Same thing no lights on dash no dome and no crank. So i started checking the connections for the ground going to the block and chassis. Nothing loose. left the door open in hopes that maybe if i wiggled the wire id find a short and my dome light would come on. Nope. So i Put the jump pack back on and this time i noticed when i put the negative on before i put the Positive on it sparked. It got to be short somewhere right? But where? i dont get it. i borrowed the jump pack so i can get to work tomorrow but i cant keep doing this. If anyone has some suggestions or place to start i would really appreciate it.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Look at your starter...
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 PM

For a bad connection or for a bad starter
Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 PM

Yes I got underneath and played with the wires while someone checked for lights to come on. Nothing.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

It's going to spark a little regardless. Best idea connect + to + then - to the good power source & - to the engine block or suitable ground. The farther away from the discharged battery, the less the boom factor.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 PM

The positive lead was not even on the terminal. I always put the negative on first then positive when jumping a car so I put when I put the negative on it started sparking without the positive be connected it was in my hand still not touching anything
Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You lost me, but good luck.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by Fire_Busch92
The positive lead was not even on the terminal. I always put the negative on first then positive when jumping a car so I put when I put the negative on it started sparking without the positive be connected it was in my hand still not touching anything

That's weird.

Do you have a multimeter? It sounds like you have something draining your battery, but without doing some testing, it's all just random guesswork.

If you have a meter, you can start testing different circuits to see where the drain is.

How old is the battery? They can short internally. That can drain them pretty quickly.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:29 AM

The battery is only 4 months old and I tested it with an actual battery tester and it can back good. This is really weird, after I had to jump it today I was driving keeping and eye on my volt meter and all of a sudden it just spiked all the way to 19.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:30 AM

And stayed there until I just it off. As soon as I jumped it again I went back to 14v
Old 12-07-2013, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Fire_Busch92
It got to be short somewhere right?

More likely an open, I'd say. You mentioned corrosion on the wires...do you have some of those temporary battery terminals that you clamp the cables into? If so, you may have corrosion inside the insulation.

Start with disassembling and cleaning all connections on the battery cables, but you may end up needing new cables.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 96

GROUNDS! This happened to me all the time with my other Jeep. It ended up being the negative battery lead. It eventually fried my alternator. Check the resistance in each lead and see what you get. Also... check the grounds. But you must remember as well to check the grounds. Did I mention to check the grounds. GROUNDS!
Old 12-07-2013, 03:31 PM

Lol thanks is there any other grounds besides the one on the body next to the battery and the one on the block under the coil
Old 12-07-2013, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by 4.slow95
GROUNDS! This happened to me all the time with my other Jeep. It ended up being the negative battery lead. It eventually fried my alternator. Check the resistance in each lead and see what you get. Also... check the grounds. But you must remember as well to check the grounds. Did I mention to check the grounds. GROUNDS!

+100

Bad grounds make crazy things happen.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:57 AM
EdZ

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

The negative battery cable is about $10... Put in a replacement cable and see if it corrects the issue... If you only had one cable from the jump box connected then it was not part of the circuit... Ya likely would find the same "spark" issue by clamping the negative battery post with a set of common pliers...

Quick Reply: No Crank No Start No lights Good Bat Good Terms