Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No BUS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No BUS?

I need to have a chipped key cut for my 2000 jeep cherokee sport but the locksmith cant cut one because of a No Bus code.

I think I took care of the code by cleaning off some connections and grounds. The No Bus no longer displays on my odometer and I cannot find any traces of the codes left so I think its gone? The jeep will crank but won't start (because I don't have a key with a chip in it.) and the fuel gauge isn't working but everything else works.

What are some other things I can do to make sure its gone so that I won't have to pay 35$ for the locksmith to tell me that he still can't cut me a key?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by myjeepbreaksalot
I need to have a chipped key cut for my 2000 jeep cherokee sport but the locksmith cant cut one because of a No Bus code.

I think I took care of the code by cleaning off some connections and grounds. The No Bus no longer displays on my odometer and I cannot find any traces of the codes left so I think its gone? The jeep will crank but won't start (because I don't have a key with a chip in it.) and the fuel gauge isn't working but everything else works.

What are some other things I can do to make sure its gone so that I won't have to pay 35$ for the locksmith to tell me that he still can't cut me a key?

Does the Voltmeter work?

If the Voltmeter and Fuel Quantity come back to life if the CPS is disconnected you might consider the CPS is at fault.

Do you gat the Immobilizer icon on in the upper left corner of the instrument cluster when you try to start the Jeep? If so, there's a SKIS issue.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything works except the fuel gauge. When we primed the oil pump the fuel gauge would go to full and then fall back to empty. I'll see what happens when I unplug the cps.

When I put the key in and turn it to the on position the wrong key indicator blinks in the top left of the dash.