Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Newbie with a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Newbie with a question

Hello all. I'm just looking into purchasing my first Cherokee. I found one near me that is not necessarily for sale, but I want to talk to the owner anyway. Can anyone tell me the year of this rig before I meet the owner? Also, I'm thinking about doing some minor mods to the rig if I get it: a lift and bigger wheels and tires. Can you also tell me it this is a year model that is worth it. All I really know is that it does have the 4.0 engine.

If you can't tell I don't know much about Cherokees. Thanks

Old 02-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

It looks like it is probably a 94-96. If i remember correctly, the third brake light on the gate was added in 1994, and the design was changed for 1997. It looks like its in relatively good shape. Its the base model, so it probably wont have many bells and whistles. Jeeps that are 2 door, with 4wd, are getting more and more rare. Take a good look at the underside and look for rust or damage.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:44 AM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

If this behavior isn't too invasive for you, then brush off the show above the metal tag with the V.I.N. The V.I.N. can be put in an online decoder to give you a bunch of information and just using the standardization from the first half will yeild the model's year.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

It's probably a 95 or 96. I can't see the steering wheel well enough to tell if it has a driver's side airbag (it appears to), but if it does, it must be 95+ and the interior and exterior style are definitely 96 and earlier.

96 was one of the largest production years for the XJ (maybe even the biggest - there is no wrangler model for the 96 model year which may have been a factor, plus the economy and gas prices at that time), so I'd guess 96 if I had to pick one.

Check the floorboards for rust, but it actually looks like the body is in good shape and may not have a ton of miles on it.

Why don't you just knock on the door and ask about it? They may be unwilling to sell, but at least you'd know it and if they are willing to sell I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you the year and what's keeping it from being driven. It doesn't appear to have been sitting too long since it still has plates on it and not a lot of crud, but definitely looks to be "off the road" by the stuff leaning up on it and the obvious use as "extra storage space" by the bags in trunk.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:13 PM

First off, thanks for all of your replies, Pathenery, I did try the house. It is vacant at the moment. the neighbor is trying to get me contact information. I'm hoping that once I talk to someone I can get additional details and find out if it even runs!!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 2001

Welcome to the CF Yahooty!

Real clean looking from what you can see worth checking out for sure!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Yahooty - if you can't get anywhere with the neighbors, you might try contacting the local police department.
If you explain the situation to them (vacated house, vehicle in the driveway you're interested in possibly purchasing) they may be willing to run the plates for you and seeing if they can at least get you the name of the registered owner.
They may even be willing to talk to you about possible abandoned vehicle options if the owner is unable to be located.
It may be possible to find some or all of the information online or via a trip to your local DMV. It all depends on the sort of police department style and the local and state laws.. it's worth at least looking into.

Just out of curiosity, do the neighbors have any ideas (or reasonable theories) as to why the property was vacated with what appears to be a vehicle worth at least a few hundred left behind?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:45 AM

PatHenry, Yes, the neighbor knows who is responsible for the house and probably the rig. There is a long back story as to the abandonment, but I think I have a line on contacting the "responsible" party.

I'm just getting impatient. I'd really like to know if it runs and how much they think its worth. Just out of curiosity, If the engine is blown do any of you all think that it would still be worth a few hundred $$. I have kind of limited mechanical abilities, but I do know a few guys...

Also, my long term plan would be to get the rig, get it running well, maybe but a 2" lift and taller tires. At that point I may try to flip it. Any opinions are welcome.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yahooty
PatHenry, Yes, the neighbor knows who is responsible for the house and probably the rig. There is a long back story as to the abandonment, but I think I have a line on contacting the "responsible" party.

I'm just getting impatient. I'd really like to know if it runs and how much they think its worth. Just out of curiosity, If the engine is blown do any of you all think that it would still be worth a few hundred $$. I have kind of limited mechanical abilities, but I do know a few guys...

Also, my long term plan would be to get the rig, get it running well, maybe but a 2" lift and taller tires. At that point I may try to flip it. Any opinions are welcome.
the answer imho is hell yes ... if it’s rust free or even has a little bit of non structural rust and all it needs is an engine or trans or diff it’s absolutely worth it to me . Good used engines can be had for very cheap!! Easy to swap as well about as basic as a swap can get !
Old 02-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
Year: 1987

Looks like a fiberglass rear door. When did they stop those?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

96 was last year of fiberglass hatches.

Agre completely, if it's got good floors and low rust and the only problem is a blown motor it is worth at least a few hundred and likely several hundred.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:52 AM

If its rust free, runs, drives, and low mileage, it can command quite a few thousand, especially if it is left relatively stock. There's plenty of jeeps out there that have been modified, it seems that stock jeeps (in good shape) are a little more hard to find. Not trying to knock people who lift and modify their jeeps, but some people just want a stock 4wd to drive daily and in bad weather, plus we've all seen what people can sometimes hack up when they go to town.

Since the house is vacant and you know the cops (hopefully) wont be called on you, try snagging several more pictures of the interior and underside, to see what options and equipment it has.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:07 PM
CF Veteran

You can get the VIN from the VIN plate at the bottom of the drivers side of the windshield - you can then use any of a number of free VIN lookup tools online and get the build sheet info and know exactly what the factory options were.

If you plan to flip it, you'll want to do the work yourself and leave it stock if you want to make a profit.

It's worth no less than a few hundred, but even in excellent condition it won't be worth more than 4-5k. They're not exactly collectors items and right away if you're trying to get several K for it you need new tires and probably wheels and new side mirrors. So that's easily 1000+ right there. If it needs a new engine, you can get a running one for a few hundred, but if you want to hit the 4-5k selling price it needs to be low mileage or a rebuilt/crate engine, if you have it installed, you're now into it for another 3k+... so the profit potential diminishes really quickly.

Best case scenario for a flip is that there is a minor issue that is cheaply and easily corrected, you can get it for 2-400 and you clean up the wheels and put cheap but new tires on it and sell it for 2500. Anything better than that and you're dang lucky.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

flat tires and grass touching the underside... Going to be some parts needing replacement and probably some pests needing a new home.

Without knowing if it runs or drives... I'd put a price tag between $500-1000 at most.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
You can get the VIN from the VIN plate at the bottom of the drivers side of the windshield - you can then use any of a number of free VIN lookup tools online and get the build sheet info and know exactly what the factory options were.

If you plan to flip it, you'll want to do the work yourself and leave it stock if you want to make a profit.

It's worth no less than a few hundred, but even in excellent condition it won't be worth more than 4-5k. They're not exactly collectors items and right away if you're trying to get several K for it you need new tires and probably wheels and new side mirrors. So that's easily 1000+ right there. If it needs a new engine, you can get a running one for a few hundred, but if you want to hit the 4-5k selling price it needs to be low mileage or a rebuilt/crate engine, if you have it installed, you're now into it for another 3k+... so the profit potential diminishes really quickly.

Best case scenario for a flip is that there is a minor issue that is cheaply and easily corrected, you can get it for 2-400 and you clean up the wheels and put cheap but new tires on it and sell it for 2500. Anything better than that and you're dang lucky.

You will save a lot if you can do the work yourself. A good deal of work could be done by the average mechanic and google. If you want a small lift, look into what is called the "upcountry" option, there is plenty of info on the forum if you search. It's pretty much a 1 inch lift over stock height, maybe even a little more if the suspension is worn out, matched with either 235/75r15 or 30x9.5r15. The whole pack of shocks, springs and ubolts would run roughly $500.

You could get a set of Goodyear Wrangler Radials at walmart for like $300, plus mount and balance, unless there is a goodyear store near you. I figured out for a buddy of mine that he could get a set of Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner's (slightly better tire) from goodyear, mounted and balanced for a little over $580, with a $170 rebate card.

Then figure in the mirror, fluid replacements, battery, tune up kit, maybe driver seat repair, who knows what else. Assuming it does at least run and drive and you do buy it, before you start throwing money and parts into it, make a budget of what you want to / need to do. It will help if you can add up all the costs before you get started, and then you can decide from there.

Like PatHenry said, the profit potential diminishes quickly. However, instead of flipping it, would you use it as a primary or secondary vehicle? In that case it could easily be worth it as a reliable vehicle that still would have some resale value if you ever wanted to sell it. They are fantastic in the snow, and when kept up on maintenance, they will last for a long time.