Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

newbie..need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation newbie..need help

i just bought my 1988 4.0 4x4 a few days ago. I bought it with high mileage already lifted and with a what they said a bad rear main seal. theres a few other little problems, like door lock motors not strong enough to lock doors and interior leaks, bad blower motor so no friggin air, nothing major. but what is major to me is that i been working everyday on this thing and still have a pretty bad leak from the front of the motor somewhere. when i bought it only leaked in the rear. then when it got off the tow truck i let it run for a min to see the leak and i noticed the front leaks too. so i googled and found what i needed to do and hit up the parts store. i replaced the rear main seal along with the oil pan gasket, still leaks from both front and rear, but not as bad anymore in the rear. replaced the valve cover gasket, no more leak in the rear but it appears the leak is worse in the front but it doesn't look like its comein from the valve cover but lower. the oil pressure is good and level is still at full. (probly cause i dont run it long enough to let it leak much and i put a tad over full when i filled it up after the seal.) i dont know what else to do!! so im coming to the experts. you guys. ill post some pics of the damage tomorrow. any help before i go back at it again would be greatly appreciate. oh and it only leaks when it runs. AND when i did the valve cover gasket, i think i pulled this little itty bitty line off something and i cant find anything on it. its one of the lines coming from the throttle body.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

When I bought my newest XJ a little over a month ago, it had a bad leak in the front as well. I first thought that it was the oil pan gasket. I replaced it and it still leaked. I then replaced the crankshaft seal and it still leaked. What I should have done was when I had it all tore apart, I should have went ahead and replaced the timing chain cover gasket instead of having to tear it all apart a third time. When I took off the timing chain cover, there was only about half a gasket there (not counting the oil pan seal at the front.
Anyway, I'd check the timing chain cover gasket and go ahead and replace the crankshaft seal while you're there. If you get the Fel-Pro kit (like from AZ) it comes with the timing chain cover gasket, the crankshaft seal and the front oil pan gasket as well. Just do it one time and have it over with.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM

thanks. what all am i gonna need to pull?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Alright so I replaced the timing cover gasket and seal but it appeared to not be leaking but I just think I seen little drops coming out. I know the front is still gonna leak cause one of the pan bolts is completely stripped and I see a little oil coming from there and my drain bolt. :/ damn jeep. Alwell I'll just deal till I save up some money to get everything completely done.

One question tho, is it safe to go mudding with this little leak?