Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new XJ - im in need of a little help

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new XJ - im in need of a little help

hey everyone!
i just recently got an 2001 XJ limited (no fogs) and one of the wagner headlights that it came with was cracked and getting moist in the rain and such so against my better judgment i bought a $30 pair of clear H1's off of eBay to replace it. To tell you the truth i skeeve the ebay diamond-cut headlights but these actually look really good and clean(meaning as if they are oem equipment), but they have such bad light output and such a bad aim, all in all i got what i paid for = crap. Plus one of them got all yellow inside out of nowhere

Now, im trying to figure out this H1 to H4 conversion. Of course i need the H4 housing and bulbs, but do i NEED the "upgraded harness"? Can I simply get the hd and bulbs, considering that i plan to buy an H4 4300k HID kit too to give me that extra light. Can i just plug the HID kit into the original harness and pop the HID bulbs into the new H4 housing or will i really need to do the re-wiring and the new harness? Or can i at least just run the H4 headlights and bulbs without the new harness. PS - i am really trying to stay away from making my own harness... i'll buy one if its 100% necessary

Please help me out here as i do need to resolve this ASAP, its pretty unsafe

PS- anyone knows any "nice" clear headlights? i found this set (link below) but they seem a bit pricey or is this about the right price for a quality set?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...eep-parts=true

OHHH before i forget is it normal that my oil psi is at ~15 when warm at idle? it does go up to 40 rather soon after...at 1500-1700 rpm its at 40 and its at 50 at WOT and its also at 50 when i start it cool.

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!

Last edited by MYSTANGT; 05-18-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

go to walmart and get the Sylvania halogens
if they are not bright then you need to do a wiring upgrade
Old 05-18-2009, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by MYSTANGT

OHHH before i forget is it normal that my oil psi is at ~15 when warm at idle? it does go up to 40 rather soon after...at 1500-1700 rpm its at 40 and its at 50 at WOT and its also at 50 when i start it cool.
yes that is good
Old 05-18-2009, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

i like the hella e code lights you can get them from rally lights .com and just make your own wiring harness i made mine for 20 bucks. i can see great now at night and dont even have to use the high beams any more
Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Buy the Autopal H4's on ebay.

Search AUTOPAL at www.naxja.org/forums and you'll see a huge thread with pics of before and after shots of these lights. I have been running the 55/60 watt bulbs in mine for better than 2 years now, no issues.

I still plan to install a better harness for more light output but my stock one is very capable of handling the lower wattage bulbs.

For a $25 investment i couldnt believe the improvement.