Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New trac bar???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New trac bar???

I went to get the front end aligned on my cherokee today, and they said that they couldn't because the right front wheel bearing is on its way out, and that I need a new trac bar. The bearing I can understand cuz they said they added weight to it and it moved, but the trac bar? How do I need a new bar? it seems that a bar does not break? or it seems that a "trac bar" would only need new bushings? This is my first 4wd vehicle so any info is helpfull
Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

post a pic of your trac bar, usually the bushings go out and thats it, so you shouldnt need a new one. and replacing the wheel bearing is easy. pull the tire and the rotor, set the caliper aside then all you have to do is bust the axle nut loose, remove three bolts in the back of the knuckle and slide the bearing off the axle. installation is the reverse. ur gonna need a breaker bar to break the axle nut loose though....
Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 PM

Well when I replaced the drivers side the other day.. I used a 1" drive socket set, needless to say, that breaks thru any bolts lol I looked at the bar, and it is not broke, when at the shop, he showed me its broken by taking a pair of channel locks and lifting up on it and showming me it moves, that would just be the bushings right?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cl_cherokee
Well when I replaced the drivers side the other day.. I used a 1" drive socket set, needless to say, that breaks thru any bolts lol I looked at the bar, and it is not broke, when at the shop, he showed me its broken by taking a pair of channel locks and lifting up on it and showming me it moves, that would just be the bushings right?
yup. i would suggest a new shop as well.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 PM

Alright, well, are the bushing a pain to install? I have gone to this shop before without issues, and he had no problem making a list of items for me to fix myself before he can align it for me. Also, is there a source for these bushing as I couldnt find them on the advance auto website, but maybe i'm just not looking good enough, to explain what the guy did, while on the hoist he grabbed the bottom of the bar and the frame bracket and squeezed them together and said it was broke cuz it is doing that
Attached Images  

Last edited by cl_cherokee; 02-26-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

he said trac bar because it may be just as cheap to buy a new trac bar with bushing then to buy new bushing... press the olds out... press the new ones in and all... trac bars arnt that much money... deff not a stock one...
Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 PM

Ah, I found them for $14 at advance, but still can't find info on how to remove the thing or to just replace the bushing itself?