Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new thread with same problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default new thread with same problem

I figure everyone is tired of the other thread (turn the key to start but nothing) I posted so I'm asking the question here...
Is it possible for the starter to test good at autozone but not work after being reinstalled (thought I read somewhere about "load" not being included)? My gut is telling me the starter is bad even tho tested good (as the last few times the jeep cranked it was a very slow turn over of engine like the starter was struggling). I even tried having the key in "run" position and touching both posts with screwdriver to only get sparks but no action. I have cleaned every ground, tested battery, fooled with NSS (have back up lights plus jimmied the shifter while trying to crank in both park and neutral, tried jumping it off but it still does nothing when you turn the key to start like when the shifter is in drive and you try to crank the vehicle.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Just change the dang starter already. If you’re getting the correct voltage at the starter and it won’t turn over if you jump it with a screwdriver then 99.999999% it’s the starter.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

I had that happen with a starter on an ex-gf's Subaru. Tested fine on the bench but it was a bad starter. The only thing worse than changing a starter in that Subaru was changing a starter twice in that Subaru.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by HarleyRob
I even tried having the key in "run" position and touching both posts with screwdriver to only get sparks but no action.
Describe "both posts" a picture would be ideal, do you have access to a FSM & DMM?
With the key in the "Start" position is the starter relay energized?
Do you read battery voltage at the "S" terminal?
In reviewing your other thread if neither the indicator or headlights dim when the key is turned to "Start" I would verify the ignition switch and or connector is functional.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 07-30-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:55 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 605 Likes on 515 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by HarleyRob
tried jumping it off but it still does nothing when you turn the key to start like when the shifter is in drive and you try to crank the vehicle.
attach a test light to the solenoid...if it lights when you turn the key, the starter is bad, if not, the cause is elsewhere

Yes, a starter can test ok on the bench, and be bad, but in that case, it will still usually make a click in situ