Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new symptom

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new symptom

probably not related but i was driving behind my girlfreind who was driving the jeep and when we did a u turn the tires were binding like it was welded or something the tires hopped and skirted. its never done this before i cant drive it anymore till i figure out why it dies at ever stop light.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mudallday
probably not related but i was driving behind my girlfreind who was driving the jeep and when we did a u turn the tires were binding like it was welded or something the tires hopped and skirted. its never done this before i cant drive it anymore till i figure out why it dies at ever stop light.
Is it a manual or 5-speed? You may want to check the tranny and make sure that's good on oil. Also, pop the rear diff cover and make sure that's good on oil too and that the gears look like they're in good shape (look for metal flakes coming out when you change the oil.)

It may not have been a pure "bind." I have my rear axle locked and I'm able to turn just fine... just a little more friction on pavement. This problem sounds more like it's up in either the tranny or engine.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

mine does that once inna while when I make a sharp U-turn. I still drive it never even looked intoo the problem really either
Old 05-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Seasoned Member

i was going to retire it from the street yesterday but the car i was replacing it with has a cracked oil cooler that i didnt see. long story short.... i drove it 20 miles with NO oil at all and now i need a new motor
thank god its almost summer ha........... but the heep just doesnt run right, it will idle really low or really high, even when im driving it runs fast so i dont even have to use the skinny sometimes and its really hard to stop