Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New starter grinding?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New starter grinding?

Anyone ever installed a new starter and started grinding?

Just installed mine along with a new battery and jeep cranks super strong, almost too strong that it fires right up and grinds soon after.

Is it starting so fast that I'm not releasing the key soon and it grinds? It only does it for a split second after it starts up.

Is there some sort of "break in" period for a starter?

Or was it not installed right? I took my time and I'm pretty certain I installed it properly but it was my first starter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:39 AM

Bump
Old 02-15-2016, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Sounds like its hanging up and not releasing quickly enough if you bought it at a local parts store (I hope) return it and tell them what its doing. If it keeps it up the teeth on the flex plate could be damaged also, very bad and a much larger,expensive job.

For items like this always buy local!
Old 02-15-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Sounds like its hanging up and not releasing quickly enough if you bought it at a local parts store (I hope) return it and tell them what its doing. If it keeps it up the teeth on the flex plate could be damaged also, very bad and a much larger,expensive job.

For items like this always buy local!
It was bought local and has a lifetime warranty as long as I own the vehicle. It seems to be doing it less and less I've started the jeep about 5 times today and nothing. Maybe it did need a few starts to "loosen up" and start engaging/disengage properly. If it starts doing it again I'll probably end up returning it.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:48 PM

Yup, did it twice already looks like I'm gonna be doing the starter again. How long should I wait to see if it goes away or should I just do it now?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:14 AM

Year: 1995
Default New aftermarket and OEM starter both grind!

Originally Posted by jopez_89
Anyone ever installed a new starter and started grinding?

Just installed mine along with a new battery and jeep cranks super strong, almost too strong that it fires right up and grinds soon after.

Is it starting so fast that I'm not releasing the key soon and it grinds? It only does it for a split second after it starts up.

Is there some sort of "break in" period for a starter?

Or was it not installed right? I took my time and I'm pretty certain I installed it properly but it was my first starter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Having the same exact issue! First installed a new starter from Advance Auto, grinded (Bendix didn't release) so I returned it thinking it was defective. THEN bought a used OEM one from eBay and it's doing the same exact grinding after start! I then replaced the starter switch (needed it anyway) which did not fix the problem.

- Is it electrical?
- Bad battery cable to the starter?
- Does starter need shimming?
- Could the mounting bolts be installed in reverse? (The starter is snug though)

Help!

Last edited by 100kjeep; 04-26-2016 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-26-2016, 06:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

you could try shimming the starter out. you can buy shims or simply make your own.

but i would just return that starter and try another.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:43 AM

Year: 1998

Like previously mentioned, you definitely don't want to keep using the starter because it can cause other more major issues. I'd pull it and replace it. I've had bad experiences with parts where it took getting up to three before I got a good one. It sucks but when buying aftermarket from chain parts stores, that's what we get sometimes. It still beats paying double or triple for OEM parts.

Someone with more experience with this starter issue could still chime in with an instant fix. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:13 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L w/Renix

Sounds like you need to add some shims to move the starter further away from the starter ring/flywheel. If the starter drives the starter gear too far into the starter ring, the teeth can become "hung" because of a misengagement. This can be caused by wear on the starter ring. It should eventually reconcile itself when both sets of teeth wear to fit each other. If it's really a problem, I would try a couple of thin flatwashers between the starter and bell housing. Just loosen both bolts slightly, remove one of the bolts, slide in a flatwasher and reinstall the bolt. Repeat this for the other bolt.

Google....Starter Grinding....there is a lot of information available.

Last edited by Rising Fawn; 04-26-2016 at 02:21 PM.