Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New member! Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New member! Hello!

Hey guys! I am new to Jeeps and new to offroading and just thought I would join this forum for more info on my girlfriend's Cherokee! I have some friends with Jeeps so all my knowledge is based on what I have been able to gather from a few light offroading trips.

My girlfriend has a white 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited with 245,000 miles that she bought from the original owner/ family friend for $2000.

The owner was extremely **** about maintaining his Jeep and has had the vehicle dealer serviced since new and has records of every modification and repair ever performed on the vehicle, even down to a log on every fill up of gas (where, cost, mileage) and every oil change (filter type, oil weight, price). It is very relieving to know we have a well maintained vehicle! He had planned to build it for it own offroading pleasure but never followed through on actually doing it. Then he got into road racing and bought a Mini Cooper

It has the Dana 35 rear axle but I am not sure if it came with an LSD or not? I am pretty sure the owner had not gotten to the point of upgrading any of the gearing in the diffs and I know it doesn't have the SYE kit yet either.

The modifications on the vehicle consists of:

Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex lift
Old Man Emu Nitro Charger shocks and stabilizer
I believe an aftermarket skid plate for the front
Aftermarket 32 gallon off road fuel tank
K&N Air Filter
Borla SS header, high flow cat, and cat back exhaust
Mopar performance ECU
15 inch TJ Wrangler wheels with 31X10.50X15 Super Swamper TSL Bias ply
Some sort of tow hooks coming through slots in the bumpers
Capsule style front headlight conversion

It also has a newer transmission and transfer case with only about 50,000 miles on them.

I am well aware that for $2000 this thing was a steal! She has owned it for almost 4 years now but even 5 years ago that price would have been excellent given the care and modifications on the vehicle.

I have read some stuff on most of the modifications to this vehicle but the part I am still a little in the dark about is the ECU.

Any links on this part would be great! I will do some searching myself on this forum to see what I can find.

Also any FAQs threads on general Jeep information would be great! Any lists of options and available components and specs also would be great.

Thanks for your help! I am sure i will have plenty of questions and maybe even input later on for you guys as I am just getting into the whole off road thing. I am used to autocrossing and road racing my 2003 Civic Si so this is a little different for me.

DJ
Old 01-25-2010, 11:40 PM

Year: 00
Engine: 4.0L, K&N CAI

Welcome! That was a great deal for 2K. The '89 has a Renix fuel system, I don't know of any mods for it or would recomend anything for increased power/ performance. There aren't chips or programmers to change parameters of the ecm that I have heard of. Distributor timing is fixed. There is a few upgrades to the cooling system, updating to a '91 type system and rewiring the electric cooling fan.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This link will give a basic guideline to the stock specs of the Jeep.

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xjstockspecs.html
Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 AM

to the forum from Idaho!!!

Sorry, i don't have much for ya on the ECU!

Last edited by guest02; 01-26-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I am guessing that the ECU probably just advances the timing a little bit and changes the fuel maps to increase power in dead spots/ maybe give it a little more low end. It pulls really hard all the way up to redline so I am sure the ECU with the filter and full exhaust probably gives it a decent amount of extra power.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Welcome to CF from TJ in NJ...
Old 01-26-2010, 10:24 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Not sure but if you find any info I would be interested. Also nice score I have an 89. 89 was the last year for the non-'c' clip d35.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:21 AM

Well with the box of goodies we got with the car was all of the 3 inch thick factory repair manuals and a Mopar Performance catalog. It has some info about the ECU in the catalog so I will read up on that and maybe post up a photocopied page in this forum.

It doesn't seem like many people have heard of this upgrade?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 liter 8 cylinder

Originally Posted by square_1
Well with the box of goodies we got with the car was all of the 3 inch thick factory repair manuals and a Mopar Performance catalog. It has some info about the ECU in the catalog so I will read up on that and maybe post up a photocopied page in this forum.

It doesn't seem like many people have heard of this upgrade?
Oh Lord, don't say "car" on here...lol!