Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New (to me) Cherokee Pulls Right

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New (to me) Cherokee Pulls Right

I recently purchased a 2001 Cherokee. It came with a Rubicon Express lift kit installed, 4.56 gearing, and 32" tires.

I test drove it before hand, and brought it to a 4x4/Jeep shop for an inspection before buying, but neither of us noticed anything wrong with the steering.

Now that I am driving it around a bit, I have noticed that it pulls to the right. Not all of the time, but quite a bit.

Is it likely just the alignment? Or is there something else with the steering that I should consider before paying to have it aligned?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

That was happening to my 95 coutnry and it was my tires, when i got winter tires put on it stopped, id say its your tires or your whell alignment
Old 12-11-2008, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Best thing you can do is take it in to a GOOD alignment shop and have it inspected and aligned if that is all it needs. If the alignment guy gives you a shopping list of front end pieces needing replaced, do it yourself, then take it back to him to have it aligned. Most shops will rape you in labor if you have them replace front end parts. They will most likely rape you in parts cost as well with your after market lift...and that is if they can even get replacement bushings and such for your lift. Does she pull in normal driving or during braking. Puuling is caused by brakes a lot of the time as well.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

yea, sounds like alignment. you can do it yourself, but a shop can do it too. I haven't heard of it from the tires...could be though! what do i know?

did you wheel it yet? I remember getting new tires, and alignment and then went wheeling to come back with a gnarly out of alignment front LOL. but it was a great session!!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Might do the basics before a trip to the alinement shop. Check tire pressures to match from left to right. Check for tire wear patterns. Look for loose and worn components. don't forget the column to steering box components as well. If all that looks to be in good shape then try the shop for an alinement.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Year: 1993

I work for firestone and what you need to do before you even take it to a shop is jack up the front end and shake it down (the tech will do this at the shop and it would be a waste of your time to take it to a shop and have them tell you it has bad front end parts) once you get it up lol grab the tire at the top and at the bottom. Rock the tire back and forth. If you feel any kind of clunk or play you need to inspect further and see what is moving( usually ball joints or wheel bearings) then grab the tire on the sides and shake the tire side to side. Once again you are looking for movement and clunking or play of any type. THe reason you need to do this is becuase if you do have bad parts then they most likely wont align it due to the loose stuff. Also if they DONT tell you about them you are getting ripped off. They can set the alignment perfect, go on a test drive and reshoot it and it will be all out of wack and wrong again(if anythings loose that is). Also while you have it jacked up take the front tires off. Put the left front on the right and the right on the left. There is such a thing as a radial pull cuased by the tires. If you swap sides and it still pulls right and everything is tight it will need an alignment. If it goes the other way(left) its in the tires. And one last thing if you can find a firestone or tiresplus close to you they do FREE alignment checks. They will check it and if it is out they will then ask about buying alignments. Also somehting worth investing in is the lifetime alignment if they have it. Its twice as much but alignments are free for the life of the vehicle after that, which is especially good if you wheel alot.

Sorry it was so long winded but good luck and hope it helped.
Bryant
Old 12-11-2008, 10:53 PM

Year: 1996

theres also a chance of your brake caliper not retracting enough, and rubbing the rotor a little bit, i had that problem not too long ago... and it caused my jeep to pull to the right
Old 12-11-2008, 11:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

I had a tie rod go out, it gave this EXACT same problem.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Originally Posted by Guitrplyr423
theres also a chance of your brake caliper not retracting enough, and rubbing the rotor a little bit, i had that problem not too long ago... and it caused my jeep to pull to the right
x2 ^ along with a front end shake down, this is the next cheapest thing to check...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by big95xj
I work for firestone and what you need to do before you even take it to a shop is jack up the front end and shake it down (the tech will do this at the shop and it would be a waste of your time to take it to a shop and have them tell you it has bad front end parts) once you get it up lol grab the tire at the top and at the bottom. Rock the tire back and forth. If you feel any kind of clunk or play you need to inspect further and see what is moving( usually ball joints or wheel bearings) then grab the tire on the sides and shake the tire side to side. Once again you are looking for movement and clunking or play of any type. THe reason you need to do this is becuase if you do have bad parts then they most likely wont align it due to the loose stuff. Also if they DONT tell you about them you are getting ripped off. They can set the alignment perfect, go on a test drive and reshoot it and it will be all out of wack and wrong again(if anythings loose that is). Also while you have it jacked up take the front tires off. Put the left front on the right and the right on the left. There is such a thing as a radial pull cuased by the tires. If you swap sides and it still pulls right and everything is tight it will need an alignment. If it goes the other way(left) its in the tires. And one last thing if you can find a firestone or tiresplus close to you they do FREE alignment checks. They will check it and if it is out they will then ask about buying alignments. Also somehting worth investing in is the lifetime alignment if they have it. Its twice as much but alignments are free for the life of the vehicle after that, which is especially good if you wheel alot.

Sorry it was so long winded but good luck and hope it helped.
Bryant

Wow! This is the kind of information that I needed! Thanks a bunch.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Guitrplyr423

What is the best way to check this?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by hubbazoot
I had a tie rod go out, it gave this EXACT same problem.

I will check that as well.

Where in Denver are you? I live near DU/South Wash Park
Old 03-22-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0
Default Track Bar

could be your track bar is not adjusted properly