Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to me

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New to me

Hi, new to the forums, but I've already found alot of good info here.
I just bought my first jeep a couple weeks ago, and am going to get started on repairs this evening. 2001 XJ 4x4 4dr

The PO had a 4" lift on it, but he took it off to put it on another jeep he had. He left the old shocks on, so I had to replace those. Needless to say I broke 2 of the 4 rear shock bolts.

Tranny shifts great until it hits OD. It revs up to 2000 and shifts like clock work at 42 mph, but it's a hard shift. The fluid looks and smells clean, but I don't have any idea if he might have changed the filter and fluid, or if he even used the correct fluid.

Also, at about 45 mph up to 60 mph (Max I've had it up to) there is a vibration coming from around the center to the drivers side of the vehicle. Possibly around the transmission, TC or even front u-joint area. This gets louder and more noticable with more speed. Front u-joint looks very old and rusted, so I'll change it tonight along with the rear and see what happens.

Last issue, when I turn the key to crank it, it will not start, but I turn the key off and immediatly turn it on again and crank and it fires right up. If it has sat for a few days, it might take three times of turning the key on and off. Motor cranks fine, just won't start unless I do this a couple times.

Once it starts, it runs great except for the hard sluggish shift into OD, and the vibration at higher speeds. (Vibration is not in the front end)

Any thoughts or help from the experts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

how high is it sitting now? stock?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Yep, stock. And, I am almost positive it's a u-joint giving me the vibration problem. there is a joint just in front of the TC where the front shaft is that is very dirty,rusted and looks extremely worn. It also has some play in it when I pull on the shaft. Also I sat in it today and went through thr PRNDL and everytime I hit drive, it would "clang".
Old 03-03-2010, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

sounds about right.