Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New long block

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New long block

Looking for a new long block to replace my blown 1990 Cherokee motor.I would like to go with a Stroker But how much more is that then stock?I have searched and I found so much conflicting info I don't know.I need to know the "Best"/reliable motor.please help.Thanks
Old 06-06-2015, 02:15 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You're only gonna find rebuilt long blocks, not new.

What conflicting info are you getting?

http://webapp.jasperengines.com/netcust/catalog.asp

https://www.golenengineservice.com/engines/jeep
Old 06-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I have the 4.6L Golen motor. Once you buy and ship the motor and the mandatory extras you'll need, you'll be in it for around $5,000. That's assuming you just swap over most of your existing parts. I went all out with coated header, new exhaust, motor mounts, hoses, etc. My total parts cost was $7,262.29, more than what the Jeep was worth!

You can build your own stroker for half what Golen charges for a crate long block stroker, but you have to have the tools and ability to build it, and it won't have a 100K mile warranty. It also won't have Chad Golen just a phone call away to answer questions.

There's a 4.7L Mopar stroker that runs just about the same price as Golen's stroker and has similar performance numbers. It's built by a third party engine shop and sold under the Mopar name, but I can't recall the name of the shop. Those are also rebuilds and not new engines, if I'm not mistaken.

One thing you might consider if Golen is too rich for your blood is to buy a stroker from someone else's part-out. Occasionally they pop up in the member classified section and on Craigslist, where someone has rolled his heap on a trail and decided to let the motor go rather than putting it in another truck. That's a risk, of course, because you're trusting someone else's build and/or maintenance. But on the other hand, you can sometimes find a low mileage long block for half or a third of what it would cost new.

A quick search of Craigslist on SearchTempest.com produced this:

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/5059701108.html
http://lexington.craigslist.org/pts/5032684419.html
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/5013820345.html

... etc. That one in the middle with the brand new Golen crate engine is kind of tempting.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

The least expensive solution, most likely, would be to go to the JY and get an engine or buy a rear ended XJ/MJ that has a solid running one.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

A rebuilt stock long block is what most opt for less cost and still use regular 87 oct. fuel.

You could take your engine to a local machine/engine shop and have it rebuilt. IMHO that is the best way to go because you know exactly what new parts go into the engine/head not so with a long block bough elsewhere. That way you have the control of parts going in it as well as quality of them. A lot of the reman's use old parts on things that I would replace in a rebuild if mine.

If you do buy a used engine make sure the block will fit in your year of XJ before you buy.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the responses.I didn't think about having to run a higher octane.I drive 50 miles a day for work so I think I may have to stick to the stock spec.Motor.Damn it!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

Back in 2011 I put a remanufactured ATK longblock in my '98.

I bought it through 4 Wheel Parts, and had to drive to Fort Worth to pick it up there, which was kind of irritating because I literally work about 1/4 mile down the street from ATK's re-manufacturing facility.

Anyway, it came with a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty. It will be 4 years in November, I've put about 42,000 miles on it, and it still purrs like a kitten. I've got a 2" lift, roof rack with lights, 235/75-15 Destination AT tires, an Or-Fab winch bumper and winch, and I average 18.7 on the highway and 14.6 overall. I have a heavy foot, so I could probably get better with better driving technique.

I've been happy with the motor, and I got all the other necessities I'd need to do the swap from Rock Auto. The only thing I'd do differently would be to use a standard Fel-Pro gasket set for the intake/exhaust. The engine ships with a flat metal gasket, and that damn thing started whistling like a tea kettle less than a year in. I pulled it out and replaced with a fiber Fel-Pro gasket coated with copper spray and it's been fine ever since.

I paid $1795 for the motor, and it had an additional $300 core that I got back when I took them my old unit. The core has to be rebuildable.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Performan...7&t_pn=ATKDA23