Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Jeep with some quirks

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4 Cyl 6L
Default New Jeep with some quirks

I paid $2000 for this lovely super clean example of a 1998 Cherokee sport. Loving it so far. But not all is perfect in my little Jeep fantasy and there are issues somewhat major and minor. I've compiled them in a small list. I am 20 with my permit. Just bought this jeep as my first car. Been driving it around with my best friend in the car. I need the reverse lights happy before I can take the driver's test though. So if no one minds. Here is my list of oddities with side notes:

Important
-No reverse lights. Neutral saftey switch? (Top priority)
-diag airbag light. Dealer says squib fault present after airbag recall fix. (on a side note they honored a 17 year old recall and reattached the center console much better then it was with new bolts. Nice.)

Annoying but not important.
-replace dummy pully for a/c compressor.
-fix power locks only unlocking.
-aecure trim panels better. Super glue?
-get front plate mount.
-Maybe fix rear speakers fizzing noise after car power off. (probably won't fix because it's way too funny)
-ebrake needs adjusting

Fun stuff
-replace OE head unit with a Raspberry pi with a touch display?
-small lift?
-fancy bumpers
-4wd swap???
-sub in XJ box?
-Aftermarket alarm and remote start??

Here is a photo of her:

It's not perfect. But I'd say my issues are minor. I'd like some input and opinions on these and my best routed for them. Thanks!

Last edited by cammykool; 06-11-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I would be interested to see what you come up with for the Raspberry Pi head unit. I was going to put one in my audi as a music server but haven't finished the project yet. I need to find a safe shutdown option so it doesn't constantly drain the battery.
For reverse lights you can check the easy things first. Are the bulbs good? Is the ground good? IS there voltage at the light socket?
For the airbag, hopefully it is not the clockspring. If the horn doesn't work either then it is most likely the clockspring. the design is terrible where the ribbon cable folds over on itself. that bend gets brittle after 15 years and the wires crack. I took one apart and resoldered it, but it's easier to get a replacement. Repalcement is pretty simple.
I just had to get a front license plate mount. Either ebay for a used OEM or the crown one will work.
The ebrake is a cable assembly that can be found underneath. IT will most likely need sprayed with PB blaster to loosen it up.
You will find that taking pieces off to get to switches etc. is pretty easy. Just about everything you will need to find can be searched for on the interwebs.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I would be interested to see what you come up with for the Raspberry Pi head unit. I was going to put one in my audi as a music server but haven't finished the project yet. I need to find a safe shutdown option so it doesn't constantly drain the battery.
For reverse lights you can check the easy things first. Are the bulbs good? Is the ground good? IS there voltage at the light socket?
For the airbag, hopefully it is not the clockspring. If the horn doesn't work either then it is most likely the clockspring. the design is terrible where the ribbon cable folds over on itself. that bend gets brittle after 15 years and the wires crack. I took one apart and resoldered it, but it's easier to get a replacement. Repalcement is pretty simple.
I just had to get a front license plate mount. Either ebay for a used OEM or the crown one will work.
The ebrake is a cable assembly that can be found underneath. IT will most likely need sprayed with PB blaster to loosen it up.
You will find that taking pieces off to get to switches etc. is pretty easy. Just about everything you will need to find can be searched for on the interwebs.
the horn in the steering wheel doesn't work. Someone added a button on the dash that activates it. Lol
Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by dzywicki
the reverse lights are important. I need to have them working so I can take my test in the car itself. Is there a way I can test voltages without pulling the light off? Alternatively how hard is it to get to the connectors. Every other light works but the reverse lights on both sides.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cammykool
I paid $1500 for this lovely super clean example of a 1998 Cherokee sport.
You got a DEAL!

-aecure trim panels better. Super glue?
No! 3M trim adhesive. It comes as a spray or in a tube. 3M weatherstrip adhesive is also very good.

-ebrake needs adjusting
There is no "ebrake". You have a parking brake. Yes, it could conceivably be used in an emergency, but it's there for PARKING, not emergencies.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
You got a DEAL!
Her only crappy thing is she is a 2wd.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:22 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

When you open the hatch, there will be a couple of nuts on the inside for the rear lens. Take those off and the lens will come off and then you can check for ground and voltage. If you are going to stay into jeeps a multimeter can be very helpful. You can get cheap ones from amazon if needed. I use Harborfreight coupons and get free ones occasionally and keep them in several places. The wiring to the probes are crappy but I have several and just swap them from the next free one.
You can turn the key to the on position and shift into reverse (engine not running). Then you can check the reverse lights for voltage etc.
Hope it's not your neutral safety switch. I have not had to tackle that yet but saw this thread on how to do it:https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rev...working-32846/

Since your horn is not working either it is most likely the clock spring. No idea why those damn things cost so much. If you are on a tight budget and some basic soldering skills, you could definitely try a repair. It's a 4 wire ribbon cable folded at a 45 degree angle over itself. One of the wires at that crimp will be broken. They are very thin and difficult to solder. I did that and checked for continuity with a multimeter. My fix worked for about a year and then broke again and I got a new one. With better soldering technique, they are definitely repairable.
You can get it out pretty easily. Remove the battery terminals and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. there are two torx screws through the back of the steering wheel that hold the airbag in. Take those out and the airbag comes right out. Disconnect it and set it aside carefully. I remember the clockspring was right underneath that with one connector. The clockspring itself has some tabs that can be pried apart and then you can get tot he insides. Be careful about it unraveling. You can check continuity and then try the repair. When putting it back in make sure you have enough slack int he wiring to allow the steering wheel to make a full turn. To me, I don't think it matters a lot about exactly how tight it is as long as there is slack for turning the wheel all the way.
I stole this pic from the interwebs, but seeing it should help understand it. there are several threads on the interwebs about rebuilding these.
Attached Thumbnails New Jeep with some quirks-xkclockspring.jpg  
Old 05-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to forum and can't figure out how to enter a new question. So, I'm trying answering yours. Even if no one answers my additional question, surely someone can tell me how to start a thread. I also have a just purchased 1998 Jeep Cherokee with some quirks. The quirk I'm trying to work on now is the power door locks. The driver's side lock locks everything except the right front. It only unlocks itself, the left rear and the hatch. The passenger's side lock locks everything and unlocks everything except the driver's door. So, where is the problem? Thanks to anybody who can help or can explain how/where to properly ask this.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

That's called, "thread hijacking", and it's a no-no.

Before you post a new thread, search for answers to your question. This is a common problem and there are tons of threads on it.

To start a new thread, just go to the main page of the forum and look for the blue "New Thread" button on the left. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:52 PM

Alright. Looking for NSS replacement parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310682388721

Would this fit
Old 05-05-2017, 07:10 AM

So. I am going to try to pull my NSS to clean it. If I end up breaking it and having to buy a new one will my Cherokee work with it compete removed? I would like to clean it without having to buy a new one but I'm not sure if it is safe and don't want to hurt my car. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

IMHO the hardest part is getting to the wire ties. Just make sure to pull the nss straight off the shaft. If it sticks push it back in and clean the shaft then try again. I used a 3M pad.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1747
Old 05-05-2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by EZEARL
IMHO the hardest part is getting to the wire ties. Just make sure to pull the nss straight off the shaft. If it sticks push it back in and clean the shaft then try again. I used a 3M pad.
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1747
looks like I'm going to walmart! lol
Old 05-05-2017, 11:09 AM

we are trying to get the NSS out but are having a hell of a time. We can't get our socket between the exhaust and the passenger floor pan to get to the NSS. here is a

New Jeep with some quirks-4meuh9s.jpg

any ideas?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:44 PM

Bump as we have it in the shop only for today.