Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New here but come for help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here but come for help

Hello i have been around jeeps since the day i started driving. Love them 4.0. Well recently i got a 2000 xj with the 4.0 and it was running great. Next thing i know it would be stalling out on me at speed. Like completely dieing but all electrical would stay on. So i replace the cam sensor and that seemed to work for about a week then it started again so i went to dodge and got one and no change in my problem. I have checked for vacuum leaks and i have cleaned the throttle body and the iac. It is an auto trans and the problem comes and goes. Thanks for any ideas
Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum.

The primary suspect for what you describe is not the cam sensor, but rather it is the crankshaft position sensor.

When they start to fail, they can become intermittent and act like what you are seeing.

Yes, there are other possibilities here. However, the crank sensor is top of the list. It is the most common engine management sensor failure on the Jeep 4.0 engine.

In fact, I just ordered one for my 99.

If you replace it, buy it directly from a Jeep dealership for the best reliability and longevity. Lots of issues with some (not all) aftermarket crank sensors. Why take
the chance for an extra $20?? Not worth it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Welcome,
I do agree. Check out you CPS. Hope it work for you.