Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New here

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default New here

Well I just bought my first Cherokee. I've always been a diesel guy but I'm gonna give this a try. I've gotten used to all kinds of power out of my old Cummins diesel. My 93 Cherokee just ain't quite got the pep. What's my best options? I don't want to spend tons of money. First thoughts were throttle body spacer and cold air intake....am I on the right path?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

get a 98+ intake manifold get a bored throttle body and make sure you bore out the manifold also, cold air intake for sure and exhaust too other than stroking it thats about it, or drop a 350 in it
Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Your going to have a hard transformation going from a cummins to an XJ. Theres just so much you can get out of the diesel engines that your poor Cherokee cannot deliver. Intake and exhaust will gain you a little, I've heard the TB spacers not good for much more than making your Jeep noisier. I've never read about anyone having any success with a chip. Like the above post mentioned, short of dropping in a V8 your horsepower increases are limited. The XJ is a spunky little straight 6, but it's not really in the same league as a tweaked diesel. There are no 100 HP gains.