Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The new guy has metal in his oil pan!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default The new guy has metal in his oil pan!!

Hello fellow XJ owners. I purchased my first XJ about two months back. Its a RUST FREE 2001 4x4 XJ Sport with 179,000 on the clock. I got it from a fella that bought it back in 02. That being said I am a garage mechanic and do all my own work. (I also have a 1992 Cummins that I work on aswell) So the XJ had a couple of small oil leaks that I've began to tackle. Oil filter adapter o-rings, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Upon draining the oil and removing the pan I got right to cleaning it. Right near the oil drain, in what looked like built up grime, were a couple large chunks of metal accompanied by several smaller fragments. The fragments DO stick to a magnet. I can not see an visible signs of breakage in the crank area. My oil pressure has been a solid 50 going down the road and it has a brand new sending unit. No milky oil. No knocking that is blatantly noticeable. The only red flag I've ever had was after a 30min commute doing about 65mph with some stop and go traffic mixed in I pulled into a lot to grab a bite to eat. I had the XJ off for about 5min, when I turned it back on it idled very rough at about 500 RPM. I gave it a couple revs and let it idle back down and it seemed fine. Discovering these chunks has me VERY spooked. I was planning to do the head gasket after these simple repairs. I have the intentions to fix the minor issues with this thing and drive it for a long while. If anyone can provide an insight as to what I should do that would be VERY VERY helpful!!! Thank you all!

Last edited by XJ_Lemp; 12-07-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I can’t tell from the pictures if that is plastic or metal?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If it sounds fine and has good oil pressure I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:23 PM

Wow that's interesting. For starters, the issue with the rough idle when starting the engine hot is injector heat soak. If you run a few searches it is very well documented, and remedied by insulating the injectors from the manifold heat.

As for the metal in your pan, thats very strange and I have no idea what it could be. I posted a thread only a few down from yours, where I have very fine metal shavings in my oil, but also no knock or unusual symptoms.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey17
I can’t tell from the pictures if that is plastic or metal?
GreaseMonkey, they are metal for sure. They stick to a magnet. The picture is somewhat deceiving. The pieces are truly a gun metal gray color rather than a shade of black.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by mikesweet33
Wow that's interesting. For starters, the issue with the rough idle when starting the engine hot is injector heat soak. If you run a few searches it is very well documented, and remedied by insulating the injectors from the manifold heat.

As for the metal in your pan, thats very strange and I have no idea what it could be. I posted a thread only a few down from yours, where I have very fine metal shavings in my oil, but also no knock or unusual symptoms.
Thank you for the info on the heat soak. As you can see in the pictures the metal chunks are both rounded and you can see they are all curved as if the came off the something in the cylinder or head area. I'm very worried that I have an engine rebuild or replacement in the near future due to this finding.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Question, do they look like they would fit together like a puzzle? As if they are the same part that broke apart, or if they come from different parts. (Does not look like it from pic, but just wondering)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Red1992XJ
Question, do they look like they would fit together like a puzzle? As if they are the same part that broke apart, or if they come from different parts. (Does not look like it from pic, but just wondering)
Red, the broken pieces don’t fit together. However they all do look similar in nature. This leads to me to believe that they are from the exact same part or a different chunks of multiple parts that are the same within the engine.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Concerning the heat soak does the XJ still have the heat shield that is on top of the intake manifold?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...SABEgIbGPD_BwE

Also I came across this awhile back. Liked how it was 4.0 specific and includes the heat shield above. While I don't have any problems in my '00 had I know this was out there when I did the 4 hole injector upgrade awhile back I would have done this too just because. I would have to take the Jeep apart to do it now so since I am not having these problems not worth the bother.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-07-2018, 06:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by XJ_Lemp
Hello fellow XJ owners. I purchased my first XJ about two months back. Its a RUST FREE 2001 4x4 XJ Sport with 179,000 on the clock. I got it from a fella that bought it back in 02. That being said I am a garage mechanic and do all my own work. (I also have a 1992 Cummins that I work on aswell) So the XJ had a couple of small oil leaks that I've began to tackle. Oil filter adapter o-rings, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket and rear main seal. Upon draining the oil and removing the pan I got right to cleaning it. Right near the oil drain, in what looked like built up grime, were a couple large chunks of metal accompanied by several smaller fragments. The fragments DO stick to a magnet. I can not see an visible signs of breakage in the crank area. My oil pressure has been a solid 50 going down the road and it has a brand new sending unit. No milky oil. No knocking that is blatantly noticeable. The only red flag I've ever had was after a 30min commute doing about 65mph with some stop and go traffic mixed in I pulled into a lot to grab a bite to eat. I had the XJ off for about 5min, when I turned it back on it idled very rough at about 500 RPM. I gave it a couple revs and let it idle back down and it seemed fine. Discovering these chunks has me VERY spooked. I was planning to do the head gasket after these simple repairs. I have the intentions to fix the minor issues with this thing and drive it for a long while. If anyone can provide an insight as to what I should do that would be VERY VERY helpful!!! Thank you all!
I enjoy trying to crack mysteries like this. Could you provide a few more pictures? perhaps with better lighting, and something to compare size to? (like a quarter/coin).
Old 12-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)

As far as the heat shield is concerned, my 2000 WJ was recalled for a couple of things, one being that intake manifold heat shield. When they went to cast iron exhaust manifolds on the CA compliant ones, the added heat from the cast iron became a problem. All it is is a aluminum wafer blanket that fits over a couple of studs that mount the fuel rail and blocks the heat from boiling the fuel in the rail and injectors.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I enjoy trying to crack mysteries like this. Could you provide a few more pictures? perhaps with better lighting, and something to compare size to? (like a quarter/coin).
Jordan, I’ll take some pictures when I get home. Thank you for the interest
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph77
Concerning the heat soak does the XJ still have the heat shield that is on top of the intake manifold?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...SABEgIbGPD_BwE

Also I came across this awhile back. Liked how it was 4.0 specific and includes the heat shield above. While I don't have any problems in my '00 had I know this was out there when I did the 4 hole injector upgrade awhile back I would have done this too just because. I would have to take the Jeep apart to do it now so since I am not having these problems not worth the bother.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine.../dp/B015NOKWQY

Ralph, I am not sure if it has the shield still. I can check into when I get home.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:05 PM

I was not able to check on the heat shield. More pictures are up. The second to last picture is important. It seems to appear that the part had some sort of spiral motion too it
Old 12-07-2018, 07:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

I am almost positive those are teeth from the bottom of the distributor gear/shaft. It probably still has enough to keep it spinning, but I would check it soon.

Here is one of Cruiser54's pages, the third picture shows what I mean:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=68

Last edited by jordan96xj; 12-07-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: The new guy has metal in his oil pan!!