Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new to the forum, please help.2001 cracked head

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new to the forum, please help.2001 cracked head

i have a 2001 xj with a cracked head. I've been reading a lot of threads on hear about aftermarket heads and was wondering which is the best deal for the money? J&C enterprises pops up quite a bit but it looks like they are a rebuilt head.I'm nervous about it because there are a lot of negative feedback in here on reman heads not being that much better than the one that is cracked now.. I'm new to this and plan on driving this jeep for a long time and really don't want to go through this more than once. I am intending on rebuilding the entire engine before i reinstall any head and just need to know if there is actually an aftermarket head that is a good one and not remanufactured. Any input would be appreciated...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre

For what its worth, I personally went with Clearwater cylinder heads in FL. Good people, and they stand behind their product. $425 to my door (last feb.)
Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 high output, Alabama Cylinder head, 60mm bored TB

Your worry about reman heads is justified. Sometimes the remans are just the same 0331 head, and end up cracking down the road. If replacing the head, I'd definitely go with a new one. A few companies now sell heads that are "beefed up" in the required areas. I have an Alabama Cylinder head on my Cherokee and it has been great so far, with over 40k miles.

My buddy just bought one off ebay for his 2000 XJ, this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JEEP-CHE...item27c54ba125

It is made by Clearwater Cylinder Heads in Florida and is also a beefed up version. It was the best deal we could find since they ship it for free. It shipped the day after he ordered it.

I recommend that if your head is cracked you DO NOT run the engine until it is fixed. Coolant in the oil will ruin your bearings and then you will need a new engine instead of a new head.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I agree that you can't lose if you go with either Clearwater Cylinder Head or Alabama Cylinder Head. Prices and warranty may vary a bit. Give them a call. Both solid vendors.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I'm also in this situation, low oil pressure and disappearing coolant. Dropping the jeep off at the shop to get looked at next week. If its a cracked head I'll see what they think, if it's worth getting a new engine. I've heard that replacing a head cost roughly $700-800. But I got a quote from another shop that could replace the engine and install it for $1200, came with warranty too. Not sure what to do
Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 rebuilt w/ bored TB, banks header, upgraded ignition, 3 row rad, high flow h2o pump, 180* t-stat

Originally Posted by xj9901
I'm also in this situation, low oil pressure and disappearing coolant. Dropping the jeep off at the shop to get looked at next week. If its a cracked head I'll see what they think, if it's worth getting a new engine. I've heard that replacing a head cost roughly $700-800. But I got a quote from another shop that could replace the engine and install it for $1200, came with warranty too. Not sure what to do
low oil pressure usual means excessive bearing clearances and if coolant is goin into your oil your bearings are trash anyway. pull your dipstick and check your oil, look like a milkshake?
best option is a new engine, IMHO.