Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new clutch slipping? help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default new clutch slipping? help!!!!

hi guys, just wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on this problem i've just run into.

i just had my clutch and slave cylinder replaced last week, and the freakin thing is slipping already. i probably got about 100 miles on it before it started. i followed the recommended break in specs to the letter, did'nt beat it at all. all of a sudden today it starts slipping really bad. i pulled into a gas station and cracked open the clutch bleeder, air came out for a second before any fluid, then i tightened it back up. got in and it was driving fine again, so i opted to drive it home. the last mile or so home i noticed it started slipping again.

so does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? is there any kind of check valve somewhere in the system that could be stuck or something? i'm at a loss as everything in the clutch system is brand new, including the master cylinder. i had the flywheel resurfaced as well. any input on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

troy
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

how does the clutch pedal feel? sounds like you did everything by the book, i once had a fluke slave not function right out of the box brand new.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L in all

Check for any wet spots where air/fluid could be leaking out, then check the hyd. line connections. Then try bleeding it with one of those one man hand held vacuum pump bleeding tools, and keep a careful eye on the resevoir.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the reply's! clutch pedal feels fine and it shifts fine. i'm going to check all the lines and connections today, could'nt do it last night cuz it was dark and raining i'll keep you guys posted. if anyone else has any insight to what might be causing this let me know. thanks again!

troy