Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Cherokee, Rear end Noise, black stuff in Vents

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Cherokee, Rear end Noise, black stuff in Vents

I just bought another Jeep Cherokee to replace my 2003 GC Overland. I am tired of refilling oil all the time... It has 110k miles, from the carfax I pulled; it was driven to 106k by 2009 and then nothing from 09 until I bought it. So 4k miles that entire time. I have already replaced:

Rear Leafs / Shackles (Riding Low and has a hitch maybe towed something a little too heavy)
Front and Rear Shocks
Front sway bar Bushings/ Sway bar Links and bushings
Steering Stabilizer
Replaced the headliner

Now that all the bouncing, clunking and banging is gone I am noticing a new noise while moving. It is coming from the rear end, kind of a whrrrw whrrrw whrrrw while moving. It is a deep noise, I was guessing something with the differential or maybe wheel bearings, I only hear it while moving...
Is there somewhere specific to start diagnosing exactly what is is without pulling it all apart?

Also after having about 6 Jeeps; Wrangler, Cherokees, Grand Cherokees I have never seen this but there was a bunch of black webbed material in all the vents is this an indicator of something wrong?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by nickb2325

I just bought another Jeep Cherokee to replace my 2003 GC Overland. I am tired of refilling oil all the time... It has 110k miles, from the carfax I pulled; it was driven to 106k by 2009 and then nothing from 09 until I bought it. So 4k miles that entire time. I have already replaced:

Rear Leafs / Shackles (Riding Low and has a hitch maybe towed something a little too heavy)
Front and Rear Shocks
Front sway bar Bushings/ Sway bar Links and bushings
Steering Stabilizer
Replaced the headliner

Now that all the bouncing, clunking and banging is gone I am noticing a new noise while moving. It is coming from the rear end, kind of a whrrrw whrrrw whrrrw while moving. It is a deep noise, I was guessing something with the differential or maybe wheel bearings, I only hear it while moving...
Is there somewhere specific to start diagnosing exactly what is is without pulling it all apart?

Also after having about 6 Jeeps; Wrangler, Cherokees, Grand Cherokees I have never seen this but there was a bunch of black webbed material in all the vents is this an indicator of something wrong?
the stuff in the vent is the foam inside the ducting. Mine does it too and is so annoying when it all blows on your face and in your eyes
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

a rear end noise is not easy to located,

put jeep on stands and start looking for play a tat in and out play while pulling on the wheel is normal but there shouldnt be any up and down play while pushing the wheel up
spin the wheel see if the noise is noticable also maybe brakes ?
can always take the differential cover off and have an oil change and while its open pry the carrier with a small piece of wood up if it moves you have worn carrier bearings. that would be a start and wont cost much

Marc

edit: does the noise changes when taking harder turns ?

Last edited by LadyKenai; 03-20-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L inline 6

Since you've replaced the rear springs you have changed the angle of the rear driveshaft. Universal joints do not like sudden change.
The two joints on the rear shaft are what I would check first. Easily changed and cheap.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

I think all cherokees eventually have the black webbed material come out of the vents. It's a black foam material that is around the evap core. I have had this on both of my Cherokees (98 and 99). It will eventually all come out and doesn't seem to have any adverse side affects on AC operation. My wife even had a Jeep dealer replace the evap core in her '99. A few years later all the foam stuff came out so thye must not have even bothered to replace the foam piece.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I think all cherokees eventually have the black webbed material come out of the vents. It's a black foam material that is around the evap core. I have had this on both of my Cherokees (98 and 99). It will eventually all come out and doesn't seem to have any adverse side affects on AC operation. My wife even had a Jeep dealer replace the evap core in her '99. A few years later all the foam stuff came out so thye must not have even bothered to replace the foam piece.
I think it's all 97+ Jeeps will have this. I had it a bit on my 2000 TJ, but never on my Dad's 94 or my 95. It seems like Jeep went really with really poor quality foam when they updated the interior style.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:58 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Glad the black crap isn't anything major. Thanks for the advice on the rear end. I plan on checking it out at the end of April. I have a week free to start pulling everything apart if need be.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I've had a rumbling noise with my Jeep for years. I swapped the rear end, no luck. Had U-Joints replaced and driveshafts balancesd, rear transfercase output bearing replaced, nope.

What has helped quite a bit is replacing the motor mounts and transmission mount with OEM mounts. The old ones were collapsing, this put the drivetrain at the correct angles.

Cheap aftermarket mounts are absolute junk.