Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New check valve created more problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New check valve created more problems

Hows it going,

I have a '97 Cherokee with 195,000 miles. I was chasing a vacuum issue in my Jeep for a couple months where I was only getting heat out of the defrost vents. I figured out that the check valve at the intake manifold was bad and replaced it and the vents work!

However now I have bigger issues that literally started the same afternoon I replaced the check valve. Could be a coincidence but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know.

1. Now I have looong crank starts, sometimes 20-30 seconds in the morning and then it stutters for 3 seconds. Then the rest of the day it is maybe 5-10 seconds before it starts.

2. Now have late shifts from 1-2, in the 3500rpm range.

Are these all related?

What are my next troubleshooting steps?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:10 PM

There is also pressure in the fuel rail as far as I can tell. I pushed the shrader valve in a fuel came out, this was while the engine was cold.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Either a cracked vacuum line or the egg is MIA.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

You have two issues and I don't think either of them are related to your recent repair.

1. You might have another "check valve" problem, this one on the fuel pump assembly in the tank. More below.

2. Start with testing your "throttle position sensor". Directly involved with shifting characteristics on the AW4. More on that below too.
Also, what is the history of routine maintenance on the transmission: ie; when was the tranny fluid last changed out? Very important. The fluid should be red in color and at the correct spot on the dipstick with a hot engine, level ground, transmission fully exercised.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The check valves (there are two of them; the primary one is on the fuel pressure regulator and a secondary one can be found on the fuel pump itself) are part of the fuel pump assembly on 95.5-2001 vintage 4.0 XJs. When a check valve starts to fail, it can reduce fuel pressure to a point where an extended cranking time is needed to start the engine. It is a very common failure. I experienced it on my 99 at around 75K.

A good (and simple) first step in helping you troubleshoot this problem is called “the poor mans prime”

1. Turn key to ON position (do not crank the engine!)
2. The fuel pump will energize and run for about 2 seconds. Be sure to wait until it stops running.
3. Turn key to OFF position
4. Repeat above steps 1-3 two more times
5. NOW crank the engine over

If the engine starts quickly and cleanly after performing this procedure, you may have a check valve issue. If it starts and runs poorly for a few seconds, it could also be a leaky fuel injector resulting in the fuel pressure leaking down and the subsequent stumble upon startup is the engine clearing the excess fuel that has leaked into the cylinder because of the faulty injector.

Also be aware that a bad battery can give you starting symptoms as well. Have your battery load tested (any parts store will do this for free) if you have any doubt; your XJ does NOT like low available battery voltage. Be sure battery connections and posts are CLEAN.

Some troubleshooting tips for extended crank times. You will need a fuel pressure gauge. Many parts stores will rent you this tool inexpensively.

*Hook up fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail under the hood

*Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

*Observe fuel pressure gauge. Normal operating pressure should be 49.2 psi (plus or minus 5 psi)

*Shut engine off.

*Observe pressure on gauge. Pressure should not fall below 30 psi for five minutes.

If pressure falls below 30 psi, it must be determined if a fuel injector, a check valve within the
fuel pump assembly, or a fuel tube/line is leaking. An adaptor tool/hose normally included with the fuel pressure gauge can help you with this. Consult the manual that comes with the fuel pressure gauge and the Factory Service Manual for your year XJ for more information on this exact procedure, but here is basically how it works:

*Turn the engine off and immediately clamp the fuel line at the adaptor hose. Watch the pressure gauge and see how long it takes to lose pressure.

*If the pressure remains at 49 psi for an extended period of time then the problem is in the tank – most likely a check valve. If the pressure falls below 49 psi fairly rapidly then the problem is probably a leaky fuel injector.

**Note. Where check valve is suspect, a quick loss of fuel pressure is often the fuel pressure regulator check valve and a slow loss of pressure is often the fuel pump check valve. But keep in mind that either or both check valves can be to blame.

You can limp a check valve problem along indefinitely if you like, as it doesn't mean the fuel pump itself is going to fail. Perform the “poor mans prime” before cranking to speed up your starts. However, if you have a check valve issue and want to resolve it, it is recommended that you replace the entire fuel pump assembly for two reasons. First, you have to drop the gas tank to access the assembly. Secondly, with two check valves, replacing just the fuel pressure regulator where one of the check valve resides may or may not resolve your problem; remember there are two check valves; the other check valve is part of the fuel pump.

The fuel pump assembly consists of fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel gauge sending unit, fuel gauge float, pickup filter and pigtail wiring harness. If you do replace the fuel pump assembly, purchase a high quality assembly. Know this….you do get what you pay for here. Some cheap aftermarket assemblies have been known to fail prematurely. I personally prefer Bosch fuel pumps as they manufacture the best fuel pump assemblies for the XJ. Carter is my second choice. Airtex is my least favorite choice and I will not recommend or install them. A Google search will show you why.
--------------------------------------------------------
The throttle position sensor is connected to the throttle shaft on the throttle body. It sends throttle valve angle information to the PCM. The PCM uses this information to determine how much fuel the engine needs. The TPS is really just a simple potentiometer with one end connected to 5 volts from the PCM and the other to ground. A third wire is connected to the PCM. As you move the accelerator pedal with your foot, the output of the TPS changes. At a closed throttle position, the output of the TPS is low, about a half a volt. As the throttle valve opens, the output increases so that, at wide open throttle, the output voltage should be above 3.9 volts. Testing can be performed with an electrical meter. Analog meter is best. You are looking for a smooth sweep of voltage throughout the entire throttle band. While slowly opening and closing the throttle, take note to the movement of the voltmeter needle. There should be a direct relationship between the needle motion to the motion of the throttle. If at anytime the needle moves abruptly or inconsistently with the movement of the throttle, the TPS is bad

You should have 5 volts going into the TPS. At idle, TPS output voltage must be greater than 200 millivolts. At wide open throttle (WOT), TPS output voltage must be less than 4.8 volts.. The best is to use an analog meter (not digital) to see if the transition from idle to WOT is smooth with no dead spots. With your meter set for volts, put the black probe on a good ground like your negative battery terminal. With the key on, engine not running, test with the red probe of your meter (install a paper clip into the back of the plug of the TPS) to see which wire has the 5 volts. One of the other wires should show .26V (or so). The other wire will be the ground and should show no voltage. Move the throttle and look for smooth meter response up to the 4.49 at WOT.

Perform the test procedure again and wiggle and/or tap on the TPS while you watch the meter. If you notice any flat spots or abrupt changes in the meter readings, replace the TPS.

The TPS is sensitive to heat, moisture and vibration leading to the failure of some units. The sensor is a sealed unit and cannot be repaired only replaced. A TPS may fail gradually leading to a number of symptoms which can include one or more of the following: -

NOTE: The throttle position sensor is also DIRECTLY involved with transmission shifting characteristics! It should be verified early in the troubleshooting process, when a transmission issue is suspected!

• Poor idle control: The TPS is used by the ECU to determine if the throttle is closed and the car should be using the Idle Air Control Valve exclusively for idle control. A fault TPS sensor can confuse the ECU causing the idle to be erratic or "hunting".
• High Idle Speed: The TPS may report faulty values causing the engine idle speed to be increased above normal. This is normally found in conjunction with a slow engine return to idle speed symptom.
• Slow engine return to idle: A failing TPS can report the minimum throttle position values incorrectly which can stop the engine entering idle mode when the throttle is closed. Normally when the throttle is closed the engine fuel injectors will be deactivated until a defined engine RPM speed is reached and the engine brought smoothly to idle speed. When failing a TPS will not report the throttle closed and fueling will continue causing the engine to return to idle very slowly.
• Engine Hesitation on Throttle Application: The TPS is also used by the ECU to determine if the driver has applied the throttle quicker than the Manifold Air Pressure sensor can read. The fueling is adjusted accordingly to cope with the sudden increase in air volume, however a faulty sensor can cause the ECU to ignore this data and the engine will "hesitate" when applying the throttle. In extreme cases with the engine at idle, a sudden application of full throttle can stall the engine.
• Engine Misfire: A fault TPS can report values outside the denied acceptable range causing the ECU to incorrectly fuel the engine. This is noticeable as a slight misfire and can trigger the misfire detection software and/or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) light on the dashboard. Extreme cases can cause excessing misfires resulting in one or more cylinders being shut down to prevent engine and catalytic converter damage.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
You have two issues and I don't think either of them are related to your recent repair.

1. You might have another "check valve" problem, this one on the fuel pump assembly in the tank. More below.

2. Start with testing your "throttle position sensor". Directly involved with shifting characteristics on the AW4. More on that below too.
Also, what is the history of routine maintenance on the transmission: ie; when was the tranny fluid last changed out? Very important. The fluid should be red in color and at the correct spot on the dipstick with a hot engine, level ground, transmission fully exercised.

Thanks I will try all of this after work today.

The transmission has unknown service. When I bought the jeep almost 2 years ago the transmission fluid looked like chocolate milk. I ran 3 gallons of DEX III through it and it is still brownish but more on the red side.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 95XJman
Thanks I will try all of this after work today.

The transmission has unknown service. When I bought the jeep almost 2 years ago the transmission fluid looked like chocolate milk. I ran 3 gallons of DEX III through it and it is still brownish but more on the red side.
That "chocolate milk" part has me concerned a little. If the transmission fluid passes thru the radiator it may have been mixing with the coolant, or water got into the lines somehow. The fluid might look better now that you ran fresh fluid thru it, but there could be a small leak.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
That "chocolate milk" part has me concerned a little. If the transmission fluid passes thru the radiator it may have been mixing with the coolant, or water got into the lines somehow. The fluid might look better now that you ran fresh fluid thru it, but there could be a small leak.
A new radiator was the first thing I did when I bought the jeep 2 years ago. And new tranny fluid was done after that.

The "poor mans'' prime did seem to help a lot, so it sounds like I'll living with that for awhile because I dont want to drop the tank. Would a leaky injector do the same though?

The shifting seems better the last few days but its still late.