Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New 99 XJ Has door Lock & Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default New 99 XJ Has door Lock & Window Issue

Got a new XJ - the other day, It is my first Jeep. It has power door locks & windows. The drivers window opens and closes, but when it reached the top or bottom it chatters and does not stop the motor.
It sounds like it is stripping the gears and probably is. So I have to stop it manually with the switch.

Next the Door locks all seem to work - in sound only. I hear the lock mechanisms actuating, but they dont actually open or close the locks.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

The driver's window issue sounds like a regulator issue:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/dri...rinding-54228/

Lock one is a mystery to me.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

As far as the window chattering goes had the exact same problem when I bought my '00. Just going up though. The motor would not stop and kept on wanting to keep running. My research seemed to indicate that there is a little white nylon worm gear in there that get stripped and causes this. Read more here:

http://www.steigerperformance.com/

I just replaced the window regulator and all was fine. Locks can be a little trickier. Mine work like 98% of the time. When they decide to not work I can here clicking coming from the passenger side front door. My research here seems to indicate that the passenger door window control switch also controls the locks. My problem is they never stay not working long enough to try and figure out what is wrong. My guesses. Everything in there could be dirty, binding, and just need a good cleaning and lubing. Maybe one or more of lock rods are bent and causing problems. The switch itself, assuming I am right about the passenger switch controlling the locks, could be bad. There is a video of guys resoldering all the connections on a driver's side cause they break down. I might try this some year. Could just be a wiring problem in the door(s) also.