Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

never had a ground problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default never had a ground problem

searched my memory from my first 49 ford in 1959 i think ive had 29 vehicles. btw the 49 was $65 ! and i drove it home. 29 cars/vans later i struggle to remember ever actually having a destinct ground problem and these were mostly very used cars.
the old cars might have a rusty light socket on the ground shell but no bad ground connecting points,rivits, screws,bolts, none that i can recall.

it might be that jeeps are more prone the ground problems since it is mentioned here for almost any problem and im new here, but my first 2 jeeps ive had 4r yrs and 6 months, not one ground problem in the mix??
had a bad starter but it was well grounded to the engine/bell housing.
three of the cars got fully reworked with engine tranny swaps and lots of wiring. still no ground problems.

jfwiw.

btw today if possible im going to do an analisis of batt / ground connections and voltage drops with various loads from batt load test box ive used over the years. mostly when i serviced golf cars with 6, 6v batts and lots of cables.
i once used it to load test a hummer 3 alt and put a 65 amp load on it with the lights and air on. it held up fine with stock alt.
ill post results of the tests later for reference.
one will be static drain on batt in my stock 00 for reference, and volt drops across the batt terminals with/wo loads.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
it might be that jeeps are more prone the ground problems since it is mentioned here for almost any problem and im new here, but my first 2 jeeps ive had 4r yrs and 6 months, not one ground problem in the mix??

1. Yes, they are.
  2. You wouldn't know a ground problem if you had one.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Then obviously you are not qualified to recognize one.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Banned

i know what i know! i will not call names or insult anyones intelligence on this forum. i get it and dont like it..no reason. i just post facts that i know to be true.
if honesty is unacceptable ill live with it and still be honest.
give it up guys, im here to contribute like you are. we all know different stuff.
friday i posted a method of troubleshooting shorts that saves fuses and is nondestructive, if it can be understood.

btw i had 30 cars and counting,i forgot a chevy s10, a gift!
you can take it or leave it. you dont hear me criticize advice others give unless its bs! like voltage on grounded metal!

Last edited by nujeepguy; 04-29-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:55 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Hey nujeep,
i'm probably the only one here that enjoys your sometimes out-in-left-field posts.
Sort of a rest from the never ending monotony of XJ problems posted here.
Keep em coming!

By the way far as never having ground problems, i always prided myself as never having hemorrhoids until one day i had hemorrhoids.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:58 AM

i know what i know! i will not call names or insult anyones intelligence on this forum. i get it and dont like it..no reason. i just post facts that i know to be true.
give it up guys, im here to contribute like you are. we all know different stuff.
friday i posted a method of troubleshooting shorts that saves fuses and is nondestructive, if it can be understood.

you can take it or leave it. you dont hear me criticize advice others give unless its bs! like voltage on grounded metal!
Interesting. You know what you know, but undermine what we know from actual experience. I think you don't know what you don't know!!
You create confusion and muddy the waters so we have to go back and straighten things out.

I don't criticize anyone unless they post BS either. That's precisely why I'm posting here right now.

If you can't help someone with actual experience or proven methods, don't post what you don't know please.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by moparado
Hey nujeep,
i'm probably the only one here that enjoys your sometimes out-in-left-field posts.
Sort of a rest from the never ending monotony of XJ problems posted here.
Keep em coming!

By the way far as never having ground problems, i always prided myself as never having hemorrhoids until one day i had hemorrhoids.
i know the "feeling"!

yrs ago i may have fixed a short but it is so uncommon that id forget.
i have found many shorted electronic components, thats the name of the game in radio/tv/ ham repairs,transistors chips caps diodes. its endless. shorted wires or loose grounds, not very often, unless they've been messed with. always go to the last place some work was done!
Old 04-29-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

searched my memory from my first 49 ford in 1959 i think ive had 29 vehicles. btw the 49 was $65 ! and i drove it home. 29 cars/vans later i struggle to remember ever actually having a destinct ground problem and these were mostly very used cars.
the old cars might have a rusty light socket on the ground shell but no bad ground connecting points,rivits, screws,bolts, none that i can recall.

had a bad starter but it was well grounded to the engine/bell housing.
three of the cars got fully reworked with engine tranny swaps and lots of wiring. still no ground problems.

jfwiw.

btw today if possible im going to do an analisis of batt / ground connections and voltage drops with various loads from batt load test box ive used over the years. mostly when i serviced golf cars with 6, 6v batts and lots of cables.
i once used it to load test a hummer 3 alt and put a 65 amp load on it with the lights and air on. it held up fine with stock alt.
ill post results of the tests later for reference.
one will be static drain on batt in my stock 00 for reference, and volt drops across the batt terminals with/wo loads.

i know the "feeling"!

yrs ago i may have fixed a short but it is so uncommon that id forget.
i have found many shorted electronic components, thats the name of the game in radio/tv/ ham repairs,transistors chips caps diodes. its endless. shorted wires or loose grounds, not very often, unless they've been messed with. always go to the last place some work was done!

Just quoting for when you go back and delete your garbled posts.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

TMI, moparado! Keep it to yourself!

I'm thinking you're like a young engineer I used to work with who enjoyed really bad jokes. Even had a book of them. Stuff like, "Why is a truck not a car? Because it's a truck." Bam.

Maybe it's a form of mashochism.....

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 04-29-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
TMI, moparado! Keep it to yourself!

I'm thinking your'e like a young engineer I used to work with who enjoyed really bad jokes. Even had a book of them. Stuff like, "Why is a truck not a car? Because it's a truck." Bam.

Maybe it's a form of mashochism.....
Well, I'm not a masochist. I'm a realist.
And I'm getting REAL tired of having to unboggle threads that have been filled with useless "noise".