Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Needing some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 stock
Default Needing some help

I have a 91 XJ Love it to death a few problems with it. Trying to find some good parts to replace it with and need some help on some options and some advice of how to fix.

1. Blower motor for the air/heat is messed up. It wont work on low or medium but you can change it to High and it will kill the beast. Unless you have it revved over 2k. The fuse under the dash it melted to it and I have to figure out how to get it out/replace.

2. Broken driver seat won't go up or down controls missing. I need to get it higher if I can manually crank it How?

3. Sometimes it wont crank, I have to shift it from p to n or jurk it around? Any Ideas?

4.hard to put into 4w high and low my dash buttons are broken and have not tried 4w yet (need some people to ride with so if it dont work and gets stuck)

Whats been done to it so far?
New (used) steering column, old one was busted, Theres some play in the steering.

The previous owners put in a radio had it straight wired so I had to fix that. (might have something to do with the blower motor) dono

I need to replace the rear leaf springs or Jack it up any Ideas? I would like a 3in lift put on.

This is what I need to replace. the blower motor for air/heat, leaf
springs(stocks/lift) driver front seat, possible the rear
hatch strong arms. and the front bar that sits under the engine connected to both wheels?

Any Ideas to any of them would be appriceated. Also if in Alabama and want to help work on her send me a PM. Would love someone who knew more about xjs.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:10 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

#2 no way to manually adjust seat if power.
#3 bad or out of adjustment neutral safety switch.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 AM

Year: 1990

What state you live in?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 AM

ok New question How Do I add or change the Differential fluid in the back and How do I check the 4x4 without messing it up if something is wrong with it?

thanks for the help I will check under the console and see if I can play with it some.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 AM

Year: 1995

On my 95 there is a blower resistor in the housing on the passenger side I believe has 5 wires on the connector that controls the blower speed you will probably need to change that also when you change the blower motor you can check your switch from that point. My blower motor was froze and burnt the resistors out and the switch still has issues I have to hit the dash to get the blower working sometimes. My schematic shows a 4 wire connector I wouldnt mess with the fuse if you have power to the switch check the resistor connector for power on the different switch positions with the key on if the switch is good just unplug the blower motor because the high speed dont go thru the resistor that is the one with two wires to it and goes to the blower motor. Hopefully the switch is good as it is a biotch to get at.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 AM

Engine: 4.0 litre

#3: NSS rebuild Just did it, works perfect now!!!! Save yourself $200. Took a couple hours, and most of that was carefully removing the damn thing. You just need to buy some brake cleaner and some di-electric grease.

As to #2, without the switch or understanding electrical schematics, you are SOL. If you can figure out the schematics, you may be able to adjust the seat to where you want it by "jumping" the leads (not for the un-initiated in auto electrical), but not on the "fly".

Last edited by Doc Brnard; 09-13-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bama91XJ
ok New question How Do I add or change the Differential fluid in the back and How do I check the 4x4 without messing it up if something is wrong with it?

thanks for the help I will check under the console and see if I can play with it some.
If you cant find a drain plug you need to pull the cover off the back get the gasket first so you can put it together with a new one just loosen the bolts about half way and take a screwdriver and gently pry it loose with a pan under it let it drain and look for metal shavings in the bottom once you have the cover off. Clean both surfaces good for the cover and use a light coat of permatex #2 sealant on both sides of the gasket when you put it back together.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 AM

Oh yea you just fill the differential until it runs out the fill hole
Old 09-13-2010, 02:40 AM

thanks for the answers. The problem is that it works on high but kills the engine, the fuse is burned into the fuse panel which lets me know somethings not right. Ill try and take pics or a vid of what I mean. and thanks for the NSS thing Ill see about it.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bama91XJ
thanks for the answers. The problem is that it works on high but kills the engine, the fuse is burned into the fuse panel which lets me know somethings not right. Ill try and take pics or a vid of what I mean. and thanks for the NSS thing Ill see about it.
I know what you mean but Ive been there the blower motor is probably using too much power probably an internal short in the motor disconnect the wire going to the blower motor in the engine compartment. Then try the switch on high and see if it affects the engine. If not just change the motor I wouldnt worry about the fuse just yet if you mess with it you may need to change the fuse box to get it working again. If you still have the same problem with the blower disconnected then you have a indirect short in the harness somewhere causing the fuse to get hot but not enough to blow it. If you get the blower at the bone yard grab a resistor also it is around three by two inches square under the dash on the passenger side in the heater duct with a 4 wire connector. My blower would barely turn on high speed causing the resistors to burn out for the lower speeds. Just in case you only have high speed after you change the blower.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by kimcrwbr1
I know what you mean but Ive been there the blower motor is probably using too much power probably an internal short in the motor disconnect the wire going to the blower motor in the engine compartment. Then try the switch on high and see if it affects the engine. If not just change the motor I wouldnt worry about the fuse just yet if you mess with it you may need to change the fuse box to get it working again. If you still have the same problem with the blower disconnected then you have a indirect short in the harness somewhere causing the fuse to get hot but not enough to blow it. If you get the blower at the bone yard grab a resistor also it is around three by two inches square under the dash on the passenger side in the heater duct with a 4 wire connector. My blower would barely turn on high speed causing the resistors to burn out for the lower speeds. Just in case you only have high speed after you change the blower.
the resistors are in the duct to cool them with the air flow if the fan is not working they get hot and burn out.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:39 AM

ok I ll check on it when I wake up, and I live in Alabama hence the name.

thanks for the help Kim, also where would that wire be located within the engine? like closest to what?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:23 AM

just off the blower motor housing mine is under the window washer tank on passenger the motor is a biotch to get the bolts out even worse putting it back. Looking back my switch was bad also and the connector was crispy and still have issues with it.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:30 AM

ok Ill go look at it and see what I can find.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:51 AM

mines a 91 XJ larado and the washer thing is located on the driver, I seen the wires coming out the fire wall to the engine harness and they look fine to to me no burning or anything.

Also, On the seats thing, Why would the pass. seat be powered and the drivers not? Is that something the previous owners did or is something like that common among xjs?

I can't wait to go junk yard shopping.