Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need steering component advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need steering component advice please...

I have a '96 Cherokee XJ with a bent steering tie rod and need to replace it. It's called different things, so just to make sure...it's the long straight tube which connects to the drag link just inside the right wheel and the left wheel steering knuckle.

The tie rod ends are good so I'm just replacing the tube, with Moog.

Originally I thought I could leave the tie rod ends attached at their respective end points and just PB for 2 days, remove clamps, and then twist the rod to remove it from one end then the other. Apparently I was wrong b/c the tube didn't budge.

So, to get this thing off I guess I need to remove both cotter pins and crown nuts at the tie rod ends, and then use my pitman arm wedge (looks like a tuning fork) to pound the ends off. I say pound because the only other time I've dealt with replacing a steering component was replacing the tie rod end b/t the pitman arm and drag link, and I had to use the olde sledge awfully hard to get it to pop off. I'm assuming these same type connections will be as difficult to separate.

Also, I'm concerned with getting my tires back straight after getting everything back together. I suppose I measure the distance between my front tires and then try to recreate that distance when installing the new piece.

Any advice at all is appreciated on how to do this. Thanks ahead.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 06-23-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 88 & 93

I just upgraded my tie rod with ends yesterday. Used a tie rod separator. Large fork tool. Couple hits w big hammer they popped right off. I measured my old tie rod and set up my new one to same dimensions. Turned out good. Steers great with new upgraded tierod.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:46 PM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

you will need a pipe wrench to turn that thing, and you wont have to pop the TRE's but make sure you set your toe properly or you will kill your front tires, I left mine 1/4" short and now I have no tread on the outsides of my fronts
Old 06-22-2011, 11:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

PM Sent
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks everybody. Taking in all the advice.

Although the rod is bent, I think it wouldn't turn before b/c I was using a large vice grip instead of a good pipe wrench. Wrench is on hand now so I'll be taking that approach again soon.

So if I get this right, if I turn what I'm gonna call the steering tube one way BOTH TREs back out and would eventually separate? And then turning the other way results in both tires toeing in? Sounds like the tube ends are threaded in opposite directions.

One of my boots has a gash so I'll be replacing it. What type of TRE boot do I ask for at the store? Or can they look it up based on location and veh type?

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 06-24-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:08 AM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

yes one tre has left hand threads and one is right hand threads so just watch one end and once you got it going it will come off BUT since you are gonna pop one to replace the boot loosen it until there is about 1/4" thread left in the link then pop the tre, boots are sized like large medium and small, so what ever looks closest
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the boot advice Kuro. I was figuring to take the rod off then do the TRE take off, thinking maybe I'd have more room to work without the bar there. I'm not sure what advantage I would gain by leaving the bar on for TRE separation.