Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some help with my DD please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Need some help with my DD please

My '91 XJ has a bit of an issue.

I was driving home from college when it started to vibrate. Now, anytime Im at a speed greater than 25-30 mph, I will vibrate a good amount. No jerking in a specific direction, just vibration.

I did adjust my rear brakes yesterday. Is it possible I made them too tight? Because when I go to brake, I can really feel the vibrations. Also, I did a rear brake pad swap 3 weeks ago. The springs and such in the brakes were old and some rusted to the point that the ends broke off about 1/4" inch. However, I simply didnt have the money to replace them with a kit, and put everything original back in. Could a spring have busted?

Lastly, the check engine light came on again. Got a code 12 (normal because the battery was disconnected for 5 hours for the header swap), a code 41 (with the voltmeter reading about 1/8" above the red 9 volt line until I drive a little and then it goes to normal 14 volts), and for some reason I got two code 21's for the O2 sensor. New alternator and O2 sensor needed?

Thanks for any and all help guys. It is very much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

make sure all your wheels are balanced...check your driveshaft for play... and I would replace that spring kit.. it is only like 29 bucks...
Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by The Rooster
make sure all your wheels are balanced...check your driveshaft for play... and I would replace that spring kit.. it is only like 29 bucks...
X2
Old 03-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Year: 1994

x3..try that
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If you are getting vibration after changing the pads or shoes. It could be warpage, dirt or grease from assembly. Could also be coincidence and other maintenance issues, start at the tires and work inward toward the motor. Eventually you find the problem and some long overdue maintenance will have been done.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Alright, so an update.

I think I've narrowed it down to the rear brakes. The vibration is on and off randomly, and whether I had been vibrating or not when I press the brake I feel it near the rear. So, I bought the spring replacement kit today as well as the self-adjuster replacement kit and will put those in tomorrow if possible. Also, my mechanic pointed out that my passenger side motor mount is virtually sheared on the engine side. Lastly, I think my alternator is about to take a dump. Good excuse for the Grand Cherokee 136 AMP alt upgrade, right? lol