Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some bushings advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 03:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need some bushings advice

The old '96 XJ is at 173k miles and has never had any of the front end (or rear?) bushings replaced, so that'll be the first thing I get on here soon when the weather warms up. Never done this before so need whatever advice I can get.

What are all the locations where bushings will need replaced that have anything to do with the front end and steering? The only two I'm aware of are the tops and bottoms of the front control arms, but other than that I'm clueless.

Also, is there a good quality all inclusive bushings kit I should look out for?
Old 02-23-2017, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

If it tracks straight down the road without noises or death wobble, don't touch anything.

Maybe check the track bar at the axle. That was the first thing on my 99 to wear out.
My 94 new control arms and bushings at 193k.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Yeah that's the thing, after an alignment it's always still been off. And even with no wind at all it's a job to keep it resembling going straight. I got a little cabin fever too and have been missing cranking this winter.

And sorry for being so long getting back here..too many irons in the fire.

So far the list of parts I've been told to look at are...

- upper and lower control arm bushings
- leaf spring shackle bushings
- rear sway bar bushings
- rear sway bar link bushings
- track bar bushings at the axle
- shock bushings
- bump stops
- coil spring isolators
- engine mounts
- tranny mounts (same as transmission cross member?)
- tie rod ends
- ball joints

So, couple questions

1- First things I'll be getting on is anything that could potentially effect the steering. I believe thats gonna include upper and lower control arm bushings, sway bars, leaf spring shackle bushings, and ball joints. Does that include everything?

2- Which of these parts would it make sense to replace in one go, as in like when you have to go through one piece to get to another. I would imagine shock bushings and coil spring isolators might be replaced at the same time.

3- and does anybody have that pic of the underside of an XJ where the steering and some of the suspension components were circled in color and labeled? Kept it around for years but somehow its missing now.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 03-29-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
- tranny mounts (same as transmission cross member?)
Drop the crossbar. The mount is installed in the crossbar. You don't need both. Remember the orientation of the bar. Holes aren't the same and the mount is offset a little.

1. Track Bar and Steering dampener. I'm not sure I'd worry about the rear leaf springs until you have the front end good. I'll let someone smarter than me back me up though.

2. This answer depends on whether or not this is your DD and how good you are. If you have everything you need, in theory, you could get it all done in a weekend. Most likely two. Shocks are pretty easy. If all your ends are bad, it might be time to replace the shock itself. But you don't need to even take off tires for shocks.

3. Not at the moment. If no one provides, I'll do it on Sunday. I'm 700 miles from my Heep at the moment.

Last edited by rdr8887; 03-29-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jeep...kfrRBpfaFGSDM:

This is the pic you wanted
Old 03-29-2017, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Double post. Sorry.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 03-29-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
3- and does anybody have that pic of the underside of an XJ where the steering and some of the suspension components were circled in color and labeled? Kept it around for years but somehow its missing now.
I've been looking for that, too, as I have the same project ahead of me, so thanks very much for that, rklette!

Anyway, I did find this suspension diagram that might help.

I just did the leaf springs and still have a hint of wobbly trying to start, mostly on cornering (not even hard cornering). I had it really bad before doing the springs, but now I can feel it's definitely coming from the front. I think the rear problems had masked that before.

On the leaf spring shackle bushings, it's probably easiest to just replace the shackle. I just had a chance to compare the Dorman, Crown, and my old OEM shackles side by side. The Crown looks the same as the OEM, and the Dorman is noticeably thinner metal, with a poor weld compared to the Crown.

If you are going to do all that, take a good hard look at the rear springs. Might be time to do those, too. If they are flat, or have a negative arch, it's time.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6

Oh and to actually give some advice, when I bought this xj the steering was horrible. Could turn the wheel back and forth a large amount (if I guess I'm going to be exaggerating lol) going down the highway. Replaced the steering with moog (used zj parts), sway bar bushings using poly (including the links), and replaced the steering gear with a Durango box (because why not upgrade while I'm at it?). The steering feels almost like a new car, it's still no rack and pinion on a sports car but I'm happy. In my opinion, sway bar and new tie rods are the biggest bang for your buck with how easy it is too. But my sway bar bushings had daylight showing through and 3 of the 4 tie rods ended up having play.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

If you're running factory control arms it might be best to replace the whole control arms. They come with bushings pre installed. Only bushings you would need to do are the axle side uppers which are pressed into the axle brackets.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987

Yep if going to do control arm bushings, 4sure get the whole unit with bushings already in. I just did my whole suspension front and back and pressing those damn bushings in and out was a little bit of a job. Had to repair my press a couple of times and once a washer that i was using shot out hit me in my glasses and knocked out my lense out! First i thought my eye was knocked out, cause it really rang me good and couldn't see anything out of that eye for a second. If you do go the pressing route WEAR EYE protection....