Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need OEM front sway bar assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl
Default Need OEM front sway bar assembly

Just acquired my first Jeep Cherokee Sport - 2001. I'm having a difficult time finding an OEM front stabilizer assembly. the stabilizer itself is bent on one end along with the link and all the bushings are shot.

When I try to do a web search, everything comes up "Grand Cherokee" and I don't know if it uses the same sway bar as the Cherokee Sport.

Can anyone tell me if the sway bar assembly IS the same and where I can get the entire kit and kaboodle (with links if possible to help save me time blind searching)?

Thanks!
Mark
Old 09-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1 9 9 5
Engine: Inline 6, 4.0

Dont know about your exact year but there are many sites that you can easily find parts for your year such as, quadratec, 4wheelparts, orielly, autozone ETC... If you go to quadratec website they have fantastic diagrams that will allow you to easily locate your part. If you go to oreillys website you can input your car info and do a search for sway bar.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

I pulled one from the junkyard with mounting brackets for about $15.00, then cleaned it up and painted it. I ordered the sway bar bushings from amazon and a new set of links with bushings from Jegs. My XJ is a '95 and I know I pulled it off of a newer one probably closer to yours in age. The one thing that I did learn from this site is that there are different diameters on the bars so make sure when you order the new bushings for the bar they match what you have.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by mmsobyak
Just acquired my first Jeep Cherokee Sport - 2001. I'm having a difficult time finding an OEM front stabilizer assembly. the stabilizer itself is bent on one end along with the link and all the bushings are shot.

When I try to do a web search, everything comes up "Grand Cherokee" and I don't know if it uses the same sway bar as the Cherokee Sport.

Can anyone tell me if the sway bar assembly IS the same and where I can get the entire kit and kaboodle (with links if possible to help save me time blind searching)?

Thanks!
Mark
Better than OEM:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....6b125ce2ab025b
Old 09-17-2015, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Not a good idea as all quick disconnects go out the window with that. Its not a sports car. The factory bar is good enough. If you were going to make a road race Cherokee that sway bar would be perfect.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Not a good idea as all quick disconnects go out the window with that. Its not a sports car. The factory bar is good enough. If you were going to make a road race Cherokee that sway bar would be perfect.
I guess I missed where the OP stated they were building a crawler, I did however notice OEM.
So the OP has a choice of a 20+ year old chunk of tired metal or the link I posted.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
I guess I missed where the OP stated they were building a crawler, I did however notice OEM.
So the OP has a choice of a 20+ year old chunk of tired metal or the link I posted.
I was pointing it out so if they are planning to add disconnects in the future they are aware of that limitation.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:41 PM

Thank you for the replies! For all the searching I did, whoever listed the sway bar, it was out of stock. The large suppliers such as NAPA, Advanced Auto, etc. said they needed to contact the manufacturer, and the manufacturer's answer was, "discontinued", of course.

I did notice the end links and bushing descriptions said, "for 1" sway bars". I'll measure the diameter tomorrow.

That's not a bad price at all for the aftermarket, 1 1 /8" assembly, but I'm not planning on beating the machine with heavy off roading. It'll be mostly for light trail running so I believe OEM is adequate and won't need the quick disconnects.

I also thought of checking the junkyards today as well. I'm a junkyard junkie, and we have plenty around, so I very well may go that route for the bar itself.

Again, thank you for your prompt assistance! I'm looking forward to viewing the pictures of the awesome Jeeps in the photo albums and I'm sure I'll get a lot of great ideas from them as well.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:45 AM

Upon closer inspection, it doesn't appear the sway bar is bent, just the upper end of the sway bar link on the driver's side. I ordered them and all the bushings.

Last edited by mmsobyak; 09-29-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: poor use of grammar
Old 09-29-2015, 06:46 AM

Installation of the end links and bushings was easy with one glitch.
One screw for the C shaped bar-to-frame clamp wouldn't loosen all the way so I couldn't get it out. That made putting the bushing a real twisty treat. Once I had the new bushing in, I couldn't tighten the bolt down all the way too. There's still a 1/4" gap and no idea how to replace it other that breaking off the bolt and putting in a screw, and I don't know how well that's going to hold.