Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need more light on the road ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need more light on the road ...

First of all may say much thanks to all who advised me on my last XJ project. I changed, oil pan, oil pump, timing set, front seal, oil filter housing seals, and exhaust manifold and all the associated gaskets and seals. Everything turned out well .... NO leaks anywhere .... runs quiet like a top.

Now, I need to change the lighting so my weak, tired old eyes can see better at night. I'm thinkin' about an 100/80 H4 conversion and a new set of H3, clear factory style fogs with a high watt or xenon bulb. I have read a couple of threads on H4/HID conversions here but what I wonder is this:

Will all this extra wattage on the Headlights and Fogs melt down my factory wiring or anything else? Does anyone have anything they'd like to share on lighting configuration mods? All my driving is on road.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

well ill tell you what im doing... i just bought a set of hella h4 conversion in a 55/60 .. i wouldnt go that high wattage, for 2 reasons.... DOT, and the wiring melting issue. i havent installed mine yet but i can get you a Hella part number for what I bought which are DOT legal... LMK
Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM

Yup, Reno ... I'm interested in that PN ...but you haven't installed 'em yet, right? I need to be sure to get more than the SiverStars have got to give unfortunately .... I'm not too worried about the legalitiy of 'em but maybe I should be .... on any given night most of the oncomming vehicles blind me with HID projectors, yet if I get out and look at my own lights from a few yards away, I'm not blinded at all .... I wonder if the cops would even notice them here in busy N. Sandy Eggo County?????
Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RenoXJ
well ill tell you what im doing... i just bought a set of hella h4 conversion in a 55/60 .. i wouldnt go that high wattage, for 2 reasons.... DOT, and the wiring melting issue. i havent installed mine yet but i can get you a Hella part number for what I bought which are DOT legal... LMK

that should be your main concern if your not replacing all the wiring for the headlights
Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by vistacruiser
Yup, Reno ... I'm interested in that PN ...but you haven't installed 'em yet, right? I need to be sure to get more than the SiverStars have got to give unfortunately .... I'm not too worried about the legalitiy of 'em but maybe I should be .... on any given night most of the oncomming vehicles blind me with HID projectors, yet if I get out and look at my own lights from a few yards away, I'm not blinded at all .... I wonder if the cops would even notice them here in busy N. Sandy Eggo County?????

well.. honestly, you dont wana draw attention to yourself or blind others with super way too bright 80w or 100w lights, and you dont want to melt the wires and short and burn down your rig... .
that would be a baad day

heres what i bought

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

and im installing soon so well see how that goes.

these stock sealed beams suck!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:32 PM

Engine: 4.0L

I agree with you. Besides I find it hard to even see the right edge of the road when the cars with HID are coming at me. For saftey reasons I need brighter lights. I'll take my chances with the police as that will happen less often than my inability to see where I am going.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:57 PM

I will post up results later once i install them
Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

my passengers side headlight was junk and my drivers side wasnt much better. sent $30 on new headlights at fleetfarm (sylvania cool whites) and they work a hell of a lot better. i used to drive around with my normal lights and hellas but after my hellas broke and i was going through relays like crazy, i just settled with my stock lighting. maybe bumper lights in the future but not now. and i think youd need a wiring harness upgrade with that conversion.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

I personally am going to try a set of H4 HID's. The set I am going to try is a bi-xenon that is rated at 35W. I will be getting the 4300k bulbs and I have a set of cheapy H4 housings I am going to try them in first. If the housings are not what I want I am going to get a set of AUTOPAL H4 housings which are similar to the Hella housings but only $40 for the pair. I will post up when I do it.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jeep98b
I personally am going to try a set of H4 HID's. The set I am going to try is a bi-xenon that is rated at 35W. I will be getting the 4300k bulbs and I have a set of cheapy H4 housings I am going to try them in first. If the housings are not what I want I am going to get a set of AUTOPAL H4 housings which are similar to the Hella housings but only $40 for the pair. I will post up when I do it.
should be sick
Old 12-04-2008, 06:32 PM

I just checked out the Autopal h4 conversions ... price and company references are good ... half the price of the Hella. CA is not an inspection state like PA or others ... so not too worried about the DOT rating.

Even if I do end up with a Bi Xenon arrangement down the road, I'll first have to convert to H4s, correct? If the H4 55/60 ain't workin', I can always step up, right?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:41 PM

I just checked out the Autopal h4 conversions ... price and company references are good ... half the price of the Hella. CA is not an inspection state like PA or others ... so not too worried about the DOT rating.

Even if I do end up with a Bi Xenon arrangement down the road, I'll first have to convert to H4s, correct? If the H4 55/60 ain't workin', I can always step up, right?
i dont have inspection ethier, but if a cop messes with you and it sayd DOT on the lense, then he can kick rocks
Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

You will have to convert to H4. I had the autopal's but glass breaks when dropped. So I have one but will get another set I was very impressed with them.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

quadratec has the conversions and such for our XJ's!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Good point ... with the Hellas, you can buy one side, Jeep98. Sounds like you have a predatory police force up in the Reno area, Reno . They're thick as flys down here too .... don't know what to do with themselves .... a girlfriend just spent 5 days in jail over a bicycle headlight violation .... nice, eh? Of course, she said she was nice but then why did he threaten to taze her? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....