Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help. Xj add a leaf questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Need help. Xj add a leaf questions

Hoping someone can help soon as I'm doing this now.

So I am to the point of taking out the center pin. First, I can get to the top, but not the bottom. What am I missing.

Second if I somehow get this off, how on earth do I get the new pin/bolt in? It looks like the axle frame is part of what is bolted to the leaves. I can't get any separation between leaves and the axle frame. I'm not sure if I am supposed to, so not trying too hard.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-22-2016, 01:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: l6 4.0

Not sure what a axle frame is. But all you need to do is use c clamps to hold leafs. Unbolt axle from leafs. Unbolt center pin. Loosen c clamps. Insert add a leaf. And reassemble.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Got it. Apparently you can't do one side at a time. Had to unbolt both to get axle to drop enough.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JBSurfs
Got it. Apparently you can't do one side at a time. Had to unbolt both to get axle to drop enough.
Why you doing aal.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:57 PM

I did it because when the whole family was in it and we hit a bump, my tires would scrape. It's our 4wd and we drive out on the beach here and also plan to get a cheap boat. So, decided to go cheap since I'm not sure how much longer I'll have it since I am at 195k miles. I don't want to add a lot of money when I really need to buy something newer.

So, as a follow up, maybe someone can help. Drives fine, but when I get to about 55, the gas/exhaust sounds much louder. I let off, it sounds better. I tap the gas, louder. I get back down to say 40 and no extra noise. Ideas? Please be cheap and drivable.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by JBSurfs
I did it because when the whole family was in it and we hit a bump, my tires would scrape. It's our 4wd and we drive out on the beach here and also plan to get a cheap boat. So, decided to go cheap since I'm not sure how much longer I'll have it since I am at 195k miles. I don't want to add a lot of money when I really need to buy something newer.

So, as a follow up, maybe someone can help. Drives fine, but when I get to about 55, the gas/exhaust sounds much louder. I let off, it sounds better. I tap the gas, louder. I get back down to say 40 and no extra noise. Ideas? Please be cheap and drivable.
Sounds more like a howling rear end than exhaust noise. Also follows the rear end noise pattern of being louder when accelerating (tap the gas) and quieter when decelerating (let off, sounds better).
Old 11-29-2016, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

typically a howling rear dif will make noise on decel. what aal did you install?
Old 11-29-2016, 06:48 AM

I added a short aal. At the time I bought it, didn't know there were different lengths. So, driving to work today, seems to be when I am over 50 mph. Possibly when I am in the highest gear. No leaks, oil just changed, nothing looking odd, no warning lights out out of whack gauges. So, when it starts, from the inside, it honestly sounds like a crotch rocket motorcycle is beside me. That higher pitched hum.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Fill out your user profile please, makes it easier for others to help.