Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help replaced CPS still no start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default need help replaced CPS still no start!

I'm 17 years old i have a 99 xj with a aw4 and 4.0. I replaced spark plugs, wires and cap and rotor. I came to work on my xj to do some maintenance and I went to start it to move it and it just cranked and didn't start I also noticed my gas gauge and voltage gauge wasn't working and no bus came on with my check engine. I went on here and looked and I had all the symptoms of a bad cps. I put in the cps and it didn't work so I replaced the cps at the auto store and it didn't work so I returned it and got another one and did it again and it still didn't work!!!!!! I have no spark but I have gas on my plugs so obviously my fuel pump works. I have driven it quit a few times and parked it to work on it and that's when it did it I'm at a complete loss please help! It did rain a lot this past week so i don't know if that caused something. This is my first post so let me know if i posted it right. Thanks
Old 07-04-2015, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I'm not saying that is is your cps. But, it's possible. Aftermarket cps's are known to be bad right out of the box. The only one's I would trust is an oem one.
It's also possible that you have a bad coil.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:04 PM

It is a possibility that the second one would be bad but I never had a problem with advance auto before. Would the coil cause NO BUS on odometer and no gauges also? I also noticed today my ASD module in my fuse panel was buzzing and I'm not really sure what the ASD is for? I swapped the fuel pump and the cooling fan module in place of the ASD but it still buzzed. My condenser fan is always on now to I'm not sure why It's on because I don't have the switch on A/c for that matter I took the A/c out! I'm not sure if there is a short somewhere or what?
Old 07-06-2015, 01:11 PM

I'm going to replace my ground strap on the firewall that goes to the head and clean the others. It probably won't hurt sense there oil soaked. I heard it's a normal problem with renix jeeps even tho mine isn't a renix. Then I'm replacing the relays I hope this works.