Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help pulling my hair out and draining wallet.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Need help pulling my hair out and draining wallet.

Hi guys, I've got a 95 xj sport with 4 speed automatic. Back in febuary engine started running erratic at idle when cold and also warmed up. Decided to do tune up and changed distributor as a whole with cap and rotor with it. Plugs and wires and ignition coil. changed out distributor and jeep started popping from intake and of course my luck I moved old distributor and figured something was off with new one. After little adjustment it ran better at idle but wouldn't rev past 3200 rpms. Thought maybe It initially jumped timing from the start and that's why it was running rough. Did timing chain and new sprockets and everything is lined up perfect on TDC. Rotor points to #1 as books instructs. Ice changed out Map sensor, TPS, IAC, Crank sensor, 02 sensor and cat is removed. Fuel rail showed 38 psi on rail and didn't move when revved. Changed fuel pump, and in line filter and nothing. I'm tired of throwing money at this thing. Never had this much trouble with a vehicle. Someone told me you have to flash the computer to recognize the timing is zeroed out, other wise it will throw time at it. Idk how true this is but I just bought a jeep 1 obd 1 connector for my scan tool as my snap on scan tool doesn't have Chrysler adapter with the L shape. I really just need help in a GM guy and don't work on many 0bd1 vehicles, especially jeeps. Thanks in advance
Old 06-19-2017, 05:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Dist does not point at number 1. Tdc on compression strocke dist points here..... http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/dist_index.html
Attached Thumbnails Need help pulling my hair out and draining wallet.-rotorposition_0degontimingmarks.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally posted by CCken.

Originally Posted by CCKen
Here's some FSM instructions on how to replace the distributor, followed by some photos.

Pic of the timing marks on the crankshaft damper and the timing chain cover. I found it easier to see the timing marks by removing the radiator electric fan. Your damper won't have the notch highlighted like mine so you'll have to find it then highlight it.

Rotate the damper with a 3/4" socket until the timing marks align (pic).

Next, remove the distributor cap, rotor, and camshaft position sensor. Replace the rotor. See if the rotor is pointing just past #1 cap terminal (pic). If not, you are at #6 cylinder TDC. Rotate the damper again to align the timing marks at zero, you should now be at #1 cylinder TDC.

Next, insert a 3/16" pin punch or drill bit through the plastic ring and down through the distributor housing alignment hole. If you can, the distributor and engine are in time. Remove the distributor but don't move the damper.

Modified cap shown in the pic.

When getting ready to install the replacement distributor, insert the pin punch through the alignment holes.

Align the oil pump drive at the 11:00 position using a screwdriver. As reference, mark the 11:00 and 1:00 positions on the engine as shown.

Insert the distributor (with new gasket) in the hole with the hold down fork aligned with the 1:00 mark on the engine. The distributor should turn into place with the distributor hold down fork aligned with the hold down bolt hole. Secure in place.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 06-19-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All data and my book I have all stated tdc is at 1 o'clock. Wtf. Your a life saver. Appreciate the help!!!!