Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help with my sound system

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need help with my sound system

Hello,
I have a question for you sound/speaker experts here. I am going to upgrade my speakers in the front of my Cherokee (1988) just not sure what I'm going to use yet.

Here is my deck- http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5fE7e4g...CDX-GT200.html

Here are the speakers I have fabricated in the rear cubby holes near the hatch-http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cOq9EVReQu7/p_130TSA6961/Pioneer-TS-A6961R.html

I have another pair of the 6x9s (exact same model as above) I can put in the front door panels (I already mounted the driver's side and the sound is GREAT but it looks awfull) but was wondering if-

1.) I should replace my deck too, as I read elsewhere that a price point deck can compromise good speakers. Although I'm not even sure if the speakers I have are good speakers or not. Is this deck worth keeping?

2.) I should not mount the 6x9s in the front (I had to bend some of the inner door behind the panel just to make it fit and it still looks bad) and instead get these speakers that I read on here will fit- http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kl8gmyh...dio-db651.html. I've read these are great speakers, are they going to sound better than 6x9s in the front? Can anybody confirm that these in fact will fit with minor tinkering in the front door panels of my '88 Cherokee? Any/all help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

First off there is noyhing wrong with a sony head unit that will hurt the speakers besides blowing out cheap speakers if you turn it up to loud. also those speakers should fit but I always liked the sound of the 6X9, have you tried putting them under the seats?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

sony IS crap. I had a sony in my jeep when i got it. Ripped it out i have a Kenwood ipod/bluetooth/ din with 5V preouts which is good for amps because it puts good sound outputs to them

I ran two amps in the back 4000W for the subs 500 for the mids.A 6 Farid cap

I have 5 1/4 in the front doors, 5 1/4s in the hatch AND 5 1/4s in the speaker bar i pulled from the junk yard mounted directly over the rear seat.

My truck sounds like a night club dancing in front of the speaker

NO need for 6x9s in the front doors.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

I got a kenwood KDC-138 HU and run 6 1/5 Infinity Reference 6022i speakers all round. sounds awesome. I also got 2 Alpine Type S (10inch) running through a 500 watt alpine amp for my bass. I like music. And hearing what im listening to, i go for clarity over loudness any day.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM

Ok. First of all... Start with a good deck. The quality and power coming out of your speakers is only as good as your deck. Unless you are running an amp for your speakers you will probably be unhappy. I am not a fan of Sony's lower end stuff. Stick with Alpine or something in that range. They still have some decent affordable decks with lots of features.

Second of all... The number one reason that people blow speakers in cars is not from too much power (or cranked speakers) but from lack of power (known as clipping). Talk to anybody that knows ANYTHING about audio and they will tell you this. That is why lots of high end amps for PA equipment (live sound) will have clip meters because you don't want to run a set of $2000 speakers out of power. It messes them up.

Your best bet is to get a good quality deck ,some 5 or 6.5 inch speakers for the front door, and some slightly larger ones for the rear. If you can, get a small sub, nothing ghetto blaster but like a 10 or a 12 inch. A nice 12 inch can sound very mellow and won't rattle your car if it is EQ'd right and the low pass and hi pass filters are set right. A 12 inch sub will take more power to move as fast as a 10 in but will have a lot beefier sound. Go test some stuff out and find out the sub the works best for your and your taste of music. If you don't want to run a sub, then get some good quality speakers and run your low and hi pass filters and your equalizers to good levels.

Basically if you have the right decent equipment you can set what frequency your speakers will play or will not play, what frequency your tweeters will play (so your mid range speakers aren't trying to play really high frequencies) and if your front or rear speakers are playing certain frequencies.

That way you can set your rear larger speakers to play a little more of the bass and the front door speakers to play more of the mid range stuff and then your tweeters to play the highs. That way you aren't overworking your speakers and they aren't trying to play frequencies that are out of their range. You also want to make sure your deck has ample power for your system. If you aren't sure it will hold up to the job, just get a small amp and mount if under the rear seats (it'll fit, I've got one there). A nice amp can make mediocre speakers sound really nice compared to running them from the deck. Night and day difference. But a crappy deck can make good speakers sound like crap.

Don't be afraid to run a small sub and amp to get a little extra sound.

A sub can make a set of inexpensive speakers sound pretty good. You can set those speakers so they aren't running any of the really low frequencies so they aren't really having to work as hard. They will focus on the midrange stuff and your sub can focus on the lows. That way you can also crank your speakers a lot higher without them distorting from all the bass. I don't have my speakers playing anything below 120-150 hertz and my door speakers also don't play anything above 10Khz either. That is what my crossover is set for my tweeters. So basically I have the highs and lows covered and then my speakers take care of everything in between. And this isn't a REALLY expensive audio system. It is just done right so it sounds good.

Go to a local audio shop and get to know them and talk it over with them. They know their stuff and will get you taken care of. They will explain what you need to make it all sound good for your budget.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM

WOW I know audio like you do and you don't have to confuse 3/5 other people with teh Hz info.

basically look at the RMS, higher the better quality sound not nessarally louder. max watts is the loudness factor.

my Hu is 4X50 RMS output. My speakers each accept something on the order of 60 watts RMS. I have 10 RMS to spare, meaning I have almost a zero chance of damaging the speakers.

same principle goes for sub/amp set-ups.

I don't want to confuse too many people here, so I will go listen to some tunes...

Last edited by A_Jeepr; 02-17-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Year: 1996

i swear these damn guys should be paying me, but... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/ is the place for you. start with a deck that has built in crossovers and sub outputs. the polk audios you found are excellent if you got that kind of jack($) the "damage" you did by cutting the metal to install 6x9s can be reversed don't know about the door panel/how bad it's cut up will determine that...next thing to do is to run a small amp and a sub, or a powered sub like a bazooka tube, which takes up very little room and cut the bass out of your door speakers with the deck's built in crossover. very simple, cost effective system! lot's of guys have good opinions in this department, it all depends on your tastes and how deep your pockets are the sky's the limit, good luck!