Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need help

ok this may be stupid questions but i need to see if anybody can help. i just bought a 94 cherokee with a couple minor issues and want to see if anybody can help..first my blower motor only works on full or off..nothing in between what shouls be looking for to fix and is it a hard repair? second is the passenger rear door the button on the outside handle broke and fell inside the door and it wont open from inside. its a electric lock and it seems to unlock.how do i get it open and again how do i fix it? thanks for any help....
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Usually its just the switch that goes bad with the blower motor, head to the junk yard for replacement
Old 06-11-2010, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by pmrhunter
ok this may be stupid questions but i need to see if anybody can help. i just bought a 94 cherokee with a couple minor issues and want to see if anybody can help..first my blower motor only works on full or off..nothing in between what shouls be looking for to fix and is it a hard repair? second is the passenger rear door the button on the outside handle broke and fell inside the door and it wont open from inside. its a electric lock and it seems to unlock.how do i get it open and again how do i fix it? thanks for any help....

Well my blower does the same thing sometimes. Every so often it will blow at the lower levels but not often. Get the switch first because it's the cheapest option. With the door handle it sounds like you're just going to need a new one. you can get them cheap from the junk yard. Any handle should work. As for getting the door open. There is a pulley system that connects that button to a metal rod which pulls open the door catch. To get the door open you're going to have to pull the inside door panel off to disengage the catch. once you get that open it will be easy to replace the handle.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

My blower did the same thing, I went to Napa and got a new one for 20 something bucks. That solved the blower problem for me.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

if the blower works on ONLY high, look into a blower resistor. On high the resistor is bypassed, hence the reason it still would work on high with a bad resistor, the resistor in terms adds resistance to the power the motor is getting, in terms slowing it down or speeding it up a bit depending on where your switch is, and how much resistance is being picked up. On high as stated before, the resistor is bypassed and full power is allowed to go to the blower motor allowing it to go at full speed.

Figured i would explain that a bit hth!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by storm101
if the blower works on ONLY high, look into a blower resistor. On high the resistor is bypassed, hence the reason it still would work on high with a bad resistor, the resistor in terms adds resistance to the power the motor is getting, in terms slowing it down or speeding it up a bit depending on where your switch is, and how much resistance is being picked up. On high as stated before, the resistor is bypassed and full power is allowed to go to the blower motor allowing it to go at full speed.

Figured i would explain that a bit hth!

X2, deffinitly the blower motor resistor if only working on HIGH setting
Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

isnt the resistor the switch?
Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

to get that door open your going have to rip up the panel. I dont think you can detatch the panel with the door closed because of those nylon fasteners. But you'll have to get in the door some how to manually trip the latch. sorry no easy answers on that.

The resister is on the blower motor.

Last edited by wildspear; 06-11-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: aditional answer
Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by wildspear
to get that door open your going have to rip up the panel. I dont think you can detatch the panel with the door closed because of those nylon fasteners. But you'll have to get in the door some how to manually trip the latch. sorry no easy answers on that.

The resister is on the blower motor.

Well if it's a 97+ you can just unscrew all the screws and then pull the panel up and the fasteners will break off. They're around $3 for a new pack so it's worth it to get the door open.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by TheJerm
isnt the resistor the switch?
No, the switch controls power flow, the resistor is after the switch and before the blower.

Lets explain this a bit more just for the general good, lets just say the resistor is a line that is 1 inch long, and has 4 contact points for the switch at in .25 inch increments, setting one is at the beginning of the inch, 2 is at .25, 3 is at .5 and 4 is at the very end which bypasses it.

1--2--3--4

#1 lets say 25% of total power is getting to the motor, #2 50% is, #3 75% is, and at #4 the total power is going through to the motor.

Motors when allowed full current they can handle will blow at full speed, and the less power they get, the slower they will go.

The switch just "puts" the power on one of the 4 spots.