Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need cooling system advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Need cooling system advise

I'm trying to resolve some issues with my XJ's cooling system. It has been consistently running hot, just a little bit over 210 and higher. I replaced the thermostat which I thought resolved my issues, it now runs cooler most of the time, but after I get off the freeway and I'm stopped at a light or something, the temp goes up to about 220-225. Same with when I'm going up rather steep hills. Right now I'm thinking it might be the fan clutch, but my coach (used to test drive cars for Audi and VW) suggested getting the rad boiled out, but I think if I were to go to all that trouble I would just replace it.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Originally Posted by thaclav
I'm trying to resolve some issues with my XJ's cooling system. It has been consistently running hot, just a little bit over 210 and higher. I replaced the thermostat which I thought resolved my issues, it now runs cooler most of the time, but after I get off the freeway and I'm stopped at a light or something, the temp goes up to about 220-225. Same with when I'm going up rather steep hills. Right now I'm thinking it might be the fan clutch, but my coach (used to test drive cars for Audi and VW) suggested getting the rad boiled out, but I think if I were to go to all that trouble I would just replace it.
fan relay switch.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 98XJSETH
fan relay switch.
why would you say that. If it is the fan relay switch he would continue to overheat past that because that is where the switch is set for the electric to come on. I would lean more toward the fan clutch my self. I had a similar problem. But I changed my whole system out from front to back and it fixed it. But I would start with the fan clutch.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by c-loss
why would you say that. If it is the fan relay switch he would continue to overheat past that because that is where the switch is set for the electric to come on. I would lean more toward the fan clutch my self. I had a similar problem. But I changed my whole system out from front to back and it fixed it. But I would start with the fan clutch.
i say it because it was my problem in my 98 man. i did this last summer i changed thermostat, t-stat housing, all cooling hoses, radiator, water pump, and it would get real hot at the stop lights or in traffic and when i climbed hills
so i went to the auto parts store i knew what it was. my fan relay switch. he would not continue to overheat if his switch was out, i didnt. but he would if they both were out.

i have question for the OP does the clutched fan start spinning when the engine is started?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Ok cool. Something I have not had to deal with.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 PM

i say it because it was my problem in my 98 man. i did this last summer i changed thermostat, t-stat housing, all cooling hoses, radiator, water pump, and it would get real hot at the stop lights or in traffic and when i climbed hills
so i went to the auto parts store i knew what it was. my fan relay switch. he would not continue to overheat if his switch was out, i didnt. but he would if they both were out.

i have question for the OP does the clutched fan start spinning when the engine is started?
Yea it does. Come to think of it, it could be the electric fan because it rarely turns on. I can hear it when it does and it only comes on at idle when the Jeep is sitting before I drive it.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Year: 1998

mine did the same thing last summer and I changed the thermostat like you did thinking it would be a simple fix but in fact it was a bad radiater. costed me a new radiater and a new engine. On the interstae, in traffic and ran hot and blew a valve...dont let that happen to you. Have you gotten your radiater flushed?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Just because the fan clutch is spinning doesn't rule it out as the problem. I had replaced my ENTIRE cooling system except for the fan clutch and I was having the same overheating at idle that the OP is having. Fan clutch was spinning, so I thought it was good but I was wrong. The clutch was not engaging enough to spin the fan at the engine speed at idle. A good way to test it is to let the engine get good and hot at an idle and with the engine running and hood open, shut off the engine and watch how quickly the fan stops spinning. If the clutch is good, it will stop almost instantly, but if it's bad it will freewheel for several seconds. That's how I finally figured mine out and then all was good.

You're right that it could be the electric fan relay, too, but don't rule out the fan clutch until this test has been done.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport
Just because the fan clutch is spinning doesn't rule it out as the problem. I had replaced my ENTIRE cooling system except for the fan clutch and I was having the same overheating at idle that the OP is having. Fan clutch was spinning, so I thought it was good but I was wrong. The clutch was not engaging enough to spin the fan at the engine speed at idle. A good way to test it is to let the engine get good and hot at an idle and with the engine running and hood open, shut off the engine and watch how quickly the fan stops spinning. If the clutch is good, it will stop almost instantly, but if it's bad it will freewheel for several seconds. That's how I finally figured mine out and then all was good.

You're right that it could be the electric fan relay, too, but don't rule out the fan clutch until this test has been done.
to true ive never dealt with fan clutches before my advice take it to a mechanic and have him look at it.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by 96 XJ Sport

I'll check that tomorrow and report back. I have an intermittent whining sound coming from something in the area surrounding the fan clutch, and I think that's also a sign that it's bad but it could also be hella other things.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

I have somewhat of the same problem in another thread. I have a new water pump, fan clutch, shroud, thermostat and the fan turns on but I still heat up to just past 210 and above when I pull a hill as well as travel at 65 or so and above on the freeway which is more since my speedo is wrong. All thats left is the rad. I also have a broken temp sending unit for the gauge that I need to replace. Going to see if that fixes it, maybe the gauge is just wrong?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 AM
CF Veteran

Thats one more thing I forgot to say. My factory temp gauge was reading off by about 15 degrees. I put in an aftermarket electric gauge and it worked just fine.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

righto on the clutch fan as someone mentioned.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:13 PM

I was driving around today and decided to expiriment. I turned on the AC (hence the electric fan) when I rolled to a stop and it was way cooler. I'm thinking it's the fan relay switch. Opinions?
Old 04-01-2009, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by thaclav
I was driving around today and decided to expiriment. I turned on the AC (hence the electric fan) when I rolled to a stop and it was way cooler. I'm thinking it's the fan relay switch. Opinions?
replace the mechanical fan clutch.

Quick Reply: Need cooling system advise