Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need advice on changing out oil pan gasket and possibly rear main seal on '96 XJ 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 02:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need advice on changing out oil pan gasket and possibly rear main seal on '96 XJ 4.0

Any advice or tutorial links on changing out an oil pan gasket or RMS on my 4.0? Been watching all utube videos I can but could still use all the advice I can get. Whats the best gasket I can get for the job...Felpro?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
Any advice or tutorial links on changing out an oil pan gasket or RMS on my 4.0? Been watching all utube videos I can but could still use all the advice I can get. Whats the best gasket I can get for the job...Felpro?

Thanks
Make absolute certain that it is leaking at the oil pan/rear main seal. I would have bet everything that my oil pan was leaking. It turns out, it was the oil filter adapter oring. I still had to pull my oil pan, due to the PO boogering up the front part of the seal when it was installed. Felpro one piece is your friend, along with some RTV for the oil pan and gasket where it meets the rear main. Use dental floss or zip ties to hold the gasket in place when installing the oil pan.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:20 AM

Its a pain to do in vehicle but Airborne nailed it with an in vehicle install. Im new to these engines....is the RMS a 2 piece design?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:15 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

2 piece design.

But, ALWAYS diagnose it yourself using the following:

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013
Old 06-16-2014, 09:23 AM

I need to replace the dist gasket on mine. was going to do the OPS since it bounces but have a old vdo analog oil pressure gauge in the garage im going to use. Good to know its 2 piece....