Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Mystery thingy. Help identifying

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Mystery thingy. Help identifying

Okay guys. Up next is the What is this? game.

Here is the picture. I found this while checking my fuses on the no start problem. It was wrapped up with a piece of clear packing tape that was so old, it wasn't sticking anymore. It's obviously disconnected. But the tape was "trying" to keep it together. I have removed the 6 inch piece of clear tape and am at a loss as to what this is. This picture is of the passenger side fuse panel and this black wire looking connector thingy was up above the fuse area.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V-8 5.2 liter. 1998.
Attached Thumbnails Mystery thingy. Help identifying-whatis.jpg  

Last edited by 1JeepJeep; 07-21-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

Antenna Cable, stick it back together and add new tape.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by cliffy
Antenna Cable, stick it back together and add new tape.
Ah. lol Thank you so much. I was at a loss as to what that was. Makes so much sense now. Okay I'll get 'er back together and use gorilla tape. My radio hasn't worked for quite a while, but that includes, cd player, cassette player and radio, so maybe this will help the radio, but I think there may be more electrical issues that caused it to not work. It used to work fine, then it worked but you could not turn it up, was so low you could barely hear it and now I haven't even tried it in a while (several years) so I wonder if I might get a radio back to the super low volume I used to have.

Thank you again. So nice to have knowledgeable people in this forum.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

No problem, happy to help when I can. Check out the site for pacific coast manuals, I downloaded their shop manual and it seems to have a bit more information than Haynes/Chilton. For your radio issues there is a site called "the12volt.com" it will have color codes for speakers and stuff. If the radio has power but the speakers are low and the volume control doesn't work go to the junkyard and get another radio, probably like $15 or 20 to see if it is the unit prior to investing much else into it.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by cliffy
No problem, happy to help when I can. Check out the site for pacific coast manuals, I downloaded their shop manual and it seems to have a bit more information than Haynes/Chilton. For your radio issues there is a site called "the12volt.com" it will have color codes for speakers and stuff. If the radio has power but the speakers are low and the volume control doesn't work go to the junkyard and get another radio, probably like $15 or 20 to see if it is the unit prior to investing much else into it.
Great advice. I will check that out.