Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Mystery Clunk / Vibration 96xj

Old 12-16-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Mystery Clunk / Vibration 96xj

This started about a month ago and I have not been able to locate it. Generally it happens if I'm going up hill but sometimes on level ground and seems to be louder when the tank has less fuel in it. When hitting a bump you can hear a clunk and that clunk, depending on several factors like rpm, going up hill.. turns into a faster clunk.. more like a vibration... would even compare it to someone running a drill and holding the side of the bit against the body. When that happens varying the rpm changes the frequency of the vibration. Can sometimes hear the light clunk at much slower rate when the jeep is at idle sitting still but usually does not last long enough to track it down.

Definitely sounds like its coming from the rear. Someone in back seat listened and said it sounds like drivers side rear (opposite side of exhaust). I had flowmaster exhaust put on about a month ago and thought that might but have checked hangers, welds, etc.. and it is on there very good. Shocks are tight top and bottom. Have checked all anchor points on leaf springs. Tank is tight.

I have checked drive shaft for play and its tight. It almost like something between the body panels or above the tank. Have 31" tires and spare lays down in the back and is not the source.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I got a similar issue except mine is from the front driver. Happens at low rpm and sometimes at idle but as soon as I get out to check things with the jeep running the noise stops. I have not found the source