Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My XJ currently is making no odd noises; not running

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 powertech HO
Default My XJ currently is making no odd noises; not running

Which Means it is not running. I have a 93 XJ sport 4.0l HO. I go to start it one day nothing turn the key to start all the fan lights radio work, but not even a click from the starter.

SO I
-Replaced the starter, (old one was only pulling 9 amps)
-Replaced the Battery (it was 9 years old)

and it started. so I shut it off and tried to restart, I got a loud click and than nothing all the power went out in the jeep. I mean NO POWER dome light head lights hazards lights nothing worked.

Frustrated I went inside started reading my favorite book (the hanes manual) and went out it had power again started, started right up. shut it off, tried to start got CLICK and no power again. so i repeated my previous steps.

all in all I have no idea what this is. I have started to clean my grounds hoping that is the problem but I have no idea.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Originally Posted by Karjalahti
Which Means it is not running. I have a 93 XJ sport 4.0l HO. I go to start it one day nothing turn the key to start all the fan lights radio work, but not even a click from the starter.

SO I
-Replaced the starter, (old one was only pulling 9 amps)
-Replaced the Battery (it was 9 years old)

and it started. so I shut it off and tried to restart, I got a loud click and than nothing all the power went out in the jeep. I mean NO POWER dome light head lights hazards lights nothing worked.

Frustrated I went inside started reading my favorite book (the hanes manual) and went out it had power again started, started right up. shut it off, tried to start got CLICK and no power again. so i repeated my previous steps.

all in all I have no idea what this is. I have started to clean my grounds hoping that is the problem but I have no idea.
Did you replace your battery terminals when you replaced the battery?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 PM

No but I took the wire outta the terminals and flipped them. as part of the "cleaning" of the electrical system. I went to go see how much it would be to get a new wire with this fancy bracket that runs down to the starter was (stealurShi7) wanted 300 dollars, I told them to walk into oncoming traffic. it is only 4 feet of four gauge wire with a fancy bracket.

And I was told if I put new ends on the battery it may help or it might make it worse.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

does any thing work like head lights radio ect??????????
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
does any thing work like head lights radio ect??????????
It has not been started yet today so if i go down right now it will fire up like normal. but if i shut it off I will not have power to anything for around 5-30 minutes no radio no lights no power for the dome light nothing. no buzzer for the key and door, no gauge lights no reverse no brake lights.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Karjalahti

Definitely check/clean your ground connections (negative) to the body. I've seen instances where a bad/corroded ground may give enough juice for accessories to work but not enough to make the vehicle start.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Your new starter probably sucks. Sounds like the solenoid is clicking and the starter isnt happening. Return the starter and try this again.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
Your new starter probably sucks. Sounds like the solenoid is clicking and the starter isnt happening. Return the starter and try this again.
It did the exact same thing with the old starter and the first starter i bought and I am on the second one. It seems to be working alright Still cleaning/ buying new grounds 208k miles will do this to a jeep i guess.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

The lights would still work if it was just a bad starter.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fsher21

The lights would still work if it was just a bad starter.
Mmm, confusing 2 similar threads I guess. If you remove the key before trying to restart it is it the same deal?
Old 04-21-2011, 12:41 AM

Mmm, confusing 2 similar threads I guess. If you remove the key before trying to restart it is it the same deal?
yep I remove the key flip it around start it with the other key it don't matter. Hazards should work with or with out keys same with the dome light. and neither would.

does anyone know where some of the most common grounds that fault out. like the one on the fire wall connected to the valve cover. where are some more hidden ones. any by the exhaust side of the motor?
Old 04-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

On alot of cars there is a ground strap that usually goes to the bellhousing to the block. Its a 1/4" copper braid. You definetely sound like a bad main ground somewhere.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

The ground problem (IF that's what you're having) would be a body ground not engine, so check the big grounds near the battery. Just follow the battery cables to check grounds. I haven't looked into the Jeep wiring system much, if there is a body control module check that.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:00 PM

The ground problem (IF that's what you're having) would be a body ground not engine, so check the big grounds near the battery. Just follow the battery cables to check grounds. I haven't looked into the Jeep wiring system much, if there is a body control module check that.
The starter grounds out on the bell housing, so I would think engine ground would be the most important.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 PM

Year: 87

sounds like a bad connection at the battery, I would just go to autozone and buy new cables or at least new cable ends and replace. my neon would do the same thing if the cables were not perfectly tight on the battery terminals.