Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My rear bumper mounts have been screwed up I beleive.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB
Default My rear bumper mounts have been screwed up I beleive.

Well I thought I'd make my day a little easier this morning and it didnt quite turn out like I was hoping. Had to get a tiny tree out of my front yard, it's right next to the house and was started to crowd out the other plants in front and I figured i'd try to pull the stump out with my Jeep. Well, what ends up happening is it doesnt want to come out and before the wheels even start to spin I break the rear yoke. Ends up being no big deal, I get a JY one sent out right away that issue will be fixed once my new gears are in.

Well what ends up being a real pain in the *** though is I rig my Jeep up for front wheel drive and decide to go down the street and buy an ice cream, well every time I go over a bump in the road I hear this terrible rattling/banging sound. It turns out my rear tire carrier bumper is now sitting a solid 1/4 inch farther out than it did before and the tire swing is rattling against the rear hatch. I get the bumper off at the house and I guess the mounting points look ok, but there is a couple little hairline cracks around the stock bumper mounts and the holes look a little expanded, maybe i'll get a pic up tommorow.

Im still pretty surprised this happened with it even having tie-ins and all, hasn't even been used to pull anything hard until today but anyways, question is has anyone ever heard of this happening or what to do to fix it? Im a little short on ideas of what to do, I'm thinking maybe cut the mount out and weld something a little heavier duty into the frame rail, unfortunately I dont even have my own welder and my skills are a little lacking but I can figure something out in that regard, just wondering if anyone has ever done something like that before.