Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My new XJ (to me) What do you think?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My new XJ (to me) What do you think?

Well I just took the deposit for my 240 and am moving on to this guy. I put the deposit in it as well and as soon as the guy pays up and picks up the 240 in a week I will go fetch the Jeep.

It's a 2001:

Engine: 4.0L obviously
Trans: Auto
Mileage: 90k
Title: Clean
Rust: No
Tires: New Toyo Open Country A/T (not 100% sure of the size but they look like 31's)
Lift: Rough Country 3in Ad-a-leaf
Misc crap: Smoked signals and window tint. Up to date on maintenance and repairs current owner had it for two years.

My plans:

I want to keep it looking good, but it isn't going to be a road warrior. I don't plan on going nuts with the wheeling to the extent I am pushing the Jeep to its limit. More so, I want it to look good and be able to handle a good amount of nasty.

These things are GREAT off road in stock form with a good driver so I don't think this is going to be a very tough goal to reach. I do alot of outdoorsy stuff and even if I am not going out looking for dirty trouble (no not hookers) you can still encounter some pretty ****ty **** when traveling unknown trails, beaches, hills, whatever and I want to be able to handle it.

I'd like some input on what I should consider doing or changing. The budget is weak right now and it's pretty clean as is so I'm not sure.

Thoughts:

Snorkel... initially thought of getting one BUT found out that you need MUCH more than a snorkel if youre in water that deep, waterproofing everything else, rust proofing and its MUCH more work. Besides if the waters that deep and has a current the Jeeps going with it snorkel or not. More of a cool factor than anything... a fake cool

Lights and Rack

I'm on the ropes with this one. I want a roof rack for sure for a spare and other random **** I may need to load up top. But should I put lights with it. People say no lights unless you're doing serious at night offroading but hell if youre in the woods anywhere at night, headlights are pretty weak so I just may. Don't know which lights are good, where to get em or what labor is involved for the install of the rack and lights, probably nothing I'd take on myself.

Sliders:

I think this is the first order of business. All it takes it a bad incline and angle to CRUNCH your rockers. Don't know which sliders are good, where to get em or what labor is involved.

Fender flares?

Tires arent gonna be big enough to bother I don't think.

Tow hooks!/Jack/Tow Straps:

A must... but! Don't know which ones are good, where to get em or what labor is involved for the tow hooks

Brush guard and light?: Nah, more weight and if something wants to break the lights or something its going to $500.00 brush guard or not. The cost to repair a light is much less than the damn guard it self, might as well buy a few sets (not gonna)

Different Tires:

Thought about it, the Toyos look nice but are not a great ****ty **** tire. But I think between the jeeps natural capabilities, the lift and size it will do just fine. If they REALLY suck after some playful tests then they will go bye bye. I put Goodyear Dura-Tracs on the X's Jeep and they seem to have done really well even though I have NOTHING to compare them to.

On to pics:

Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 litre

it looks super clean how much did you pay?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by JJaycXj
it looks super clean how much did you pay?
$6250.00
Old 03-03-2010, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Nice clean xj looks good!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX
Default here ya go

Originally Posted by 11Past9

Thoughts:

Snorkel... initially thought of getting one BUT found out that you need MUCH more than a snorkel if youre in water that deep, waterproofing everything else, rust proofing and its MUCH more work. Besides if the waters that deep and has a current the Jeeps going with it snorkel or not. More of a cool factor than anything... a fake cool

Sliders:

I think this is the first order of business. All it takes it a bad incline and angle to CRUNCH your rockers. Don't know which sliders are good, where to get em or what labor is involved.

Tow hooks!/Jack/Tow Straps:

A must... but! Don't know which ones are good, where to get em or what labor is involved for the tow hooks

a snorkel would still be a good idea, because if you do encounter a deep water crossing at least you wont be hydro-locking the engine, even though everything else might get wet.

Sliders are also a great idea. there are lots of companies that make them:
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=xj_skid
http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-sliders.html
http://www.rocky-road.com/xjrockrail.html

For tow hooks i only know of 2 companies that make them:
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...y_Code=rec_hit
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html

and heres something to give u an idea on how hard it is to install them:
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/xj_hook.html
Old 03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

are thos GC rims?

the truck looks good,silver is the way to go!
Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 litre

Originally Posted by aj6
are thos GC rims?

the truck looks good,silver is the way to go!
naah black all the way
Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Year: 2001

These are the sliders I have (double tube)

http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/roundnerf3.jpg

They are extremely tough. I bought them used and have run them over some serious rocks and they are barely scratched. As far as installing it was not bad but you do have to drill a bunch of holes in the pinch seams to bolt through (also bolts to the unibody and I think you have to drill that as well if I remember correctly).

As far as Tow hooks - go to a local pick-n-pull and see what you can find. We got my sons at the local P-n-p and did not cost us much. Install is easy. Another option is a new front bumper with shackles but more expensive.

Last edited by 01blackcat; 03-03-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 PM

I thought about just getting a new bumper.

So here we are so far:

Bumper (maybe)
Fishing line the door moldings off
Roof rack
Wait til the suspension sags to update
Wait til the tires get crappy to update
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998