Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my jeep wont start after running a while

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default my jeep wont start after running a while

2001 jeep cherokee wont start after running. It will start up just fine in the morning but if i drive it a few minutes and turn it off it wont start up again for a little bit (anywhere between 15 minutes to a few hours). When i turn the key all the electrics come on but the starter wont turn. It doesn't click or anything, its like it is not getting power. do i just need a new starter or is it something else??
Old 08-31-2017, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Could be many things. But one of my first thoughts would be a relay in PDC that is failing/sticking once it is warm.

If you don't even get a "click" from the starter solenoid, I would probably also want to pull the steering column trim off and see if the ignition switch is getting hot when the vehicle is running. Then take a multimeter to the ignition switch connector socket to see if something there is losing continuity once the switch is warm.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:11 AM

i just took my daughter around the corner to her bus stop, not going more then 10 miles an hour for 5 minutes and when i got home it did it again. it seems to be getting worse.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Have you tried jiggling the shifter in both Park and Neutral and trying again? See if you can get it to start doing that. Because your symptoms are also consistent with a neutral safety switch that is beginning to fail.

Turn the key to start - while actually jiggling the shifter in both P and N positions.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:29 AM

Yea, i thought that too, tried starting in neutral and park, moved it back and forth several times. thought it might of been the relay, but switched them around and still nothing.