Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
View Poll Results: Should i keep the car and fix it, sell or Junk ?
If fix it How much ?
0%
If sell how much ?
0%
If junk @ what price?
0%
I want to fix it for cheap any good suggested mechanic near by Houston Tx who can help me?
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

My Jeep is giving a jerk when stopped like as though someone rear ended my car ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 05:42 PM
SSK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Exclamation My Jeep is giving a jerk when stopped like as though someone rear ended my car ???

Hey all my 1st post since i bought the Jeep 98 Xj so pardon me if i am mentioning anything wrong or so....

So i my jeep is a 98 model stock and i recently drove about 1500 miles from Chicago to Texas now after a while i am here (1)its giving me a jerk when ever i stop and the power to wheels is lowered than before as if i turn the steering and gas it there is no movement unless i straight the wheel. (2) If i backup in a downhill the car is moving forward again instead f backing up (3) The RPM rises when i gas it and suddenly there is jerk movement and the picks up the speed all of a sudden.(4) when on a highway there is a weird smoke which gets deposited on the rear glass so when i noticed the oil was low and i topped it up now after that the amount of deposit is reduced but still exists slightly.(5) There is slight clinky noice from the shaft (i gues) when the engine is in idling as well.

I want to fix this problems asap.
Can anyone pls tell what is going on with this and what i should do ?
I would really help a cheap and permanent fix as this is my 1st car and planning to keep it for a long time still the miles is around 185K till now.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Check your transmission fluid level and condition.