Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my first xj and my first experiance with an internal clutch slave

Old 03-02-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default my first xj and my first experiance with an internal clutch slave

i just bought a 91' 2 door 4.0 and i got a pretty good deal because the slave was out and the guy just didn't want to fix it so i did, but i'm havig trouble bleeding it the master was replaced a few months before i bought it but its one of the cheap plastic units has anyone had any experiance with these failing that quickly?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

you dont bleed them , pump the petal till its firm.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

You're bleeding from the slave, right? I usually vacuum bleed these, it works a bit better.

You did install the slave with the bleed line at the top, correct? If you didn't, it won't ever bleed (I don't think you can install it the wrong way and have everything fit up, but Thou Shalt Never Assume.)

The internal slave was a bad idea when Mazda came up with it, it didn't get any better when Ford did it, and the story has not improved with retelling... You can convert to an external slave, but you'll have to locate the bellhousing, front bearing retainer, clutch fork, and pivot ball to do so (which means you can do the upgrade if you get the parts on a shot transmission.) Get new hydraulics.

I've been through four Peugeots in my 88 before I could get an Aisin - I ended up with two (one internal, one external. Guess which one is going in?)
Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 PM

i can gravity bleed it and the pedal firms right up but as i drive it seems to lose pressure the puzzling thing is it dosn"t seem to leak i"m sure i installed the slave properly the hardest part was removing the top tranny bolts other than that it went smooth. mabey i should have it vacume bled and if that dosn't work then change the master cylinder?
Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

then there is still a bubble in there somewhere. I kept fighting with mine until I got mad and took the slave off, turned it so the piston was down and line was on top and pumped the piston by hand. Give it a few good strokes that way. Put it on and good to go.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 PM

i may resort to that if i can't work it out soon. other than that i've had my jeep for about a week now and have already grown attached just cant wait till i've worked out all the small problems and get the vehicle in a reliable state and then its on to the good stuff !