Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My clutch pedal goes almost to the floor before barely engaging....any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.7 Hesco stroker
Default My clutch pedal goes almost to the floor before barely engaging....any ideas??

This problem just started today. Everything was fine this morning. I left work to do a job and noticed the pedal had to be pushed in farther than usual to engage. I checked the fluid, it was fine. I finished my job and went to leave, now the pedal goes almost to the floor before it would engage. What should I look for when I tear into it in the morning?

I've never had any transmission or clutch issues up until now. Its a 93 4x4. Should I expect to see a external slave cylinder or am I screwed with the internal one?

Any help is greatly appreciated....
Old 05-11-2012, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I think 93 was the first year of the external. If not, its real close. I just don't remember. :/

With no loss of fluid, though, I would think master. But, again, I could be wrong.

I'm replacing both this weekend while I install my freshly rebuilt trans.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Boy, I hope its external. What did the parts run you roughly?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 PM

The master and slave, that is..
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Lolol. Dealership quoted me something just over $600. Then told me they didnt carry either, and that napa would be their suggestion. Also told me Napa would charge me roughly the same.

So I called Napa. And they told me it'd be $180 and change.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Lolol. Dealership quoted me something just over $600. Then told me they didnt carry either, and that napa would be their suggestion. Also told me Napa would charge me roughly the same.

Stealership jerk turds....
Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

I just bought a master and slave for around 200 a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by DIRTDOGXJ
This problem just started today. Everything was fine this morning. I left work to do a job and noticed the pedal had to be pushed in farther than usual to engage. I checked the fluid, it was fine. I finished my job and went to leave, now the pedal goes almost to the floor before it would engage. What should I look for when I tear into it in the morning?

I've never had any transmission or clutch issues up until now. Its a 93 4x4. Should I expect to see a external slave cylinder or am I screwed with the internal one?

Any help is greatly appreciated....
Go look and let us know...internal ain't so bad...the tranny and tcase is surprisingly light weight.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 (of course) ;)

I think it's 94 that it first went to external. My tranny is from a 93 and it's and internal slave. Maybe it's a split year thing?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:01 AM

Yep, 94 was the first year with the external slave cylinder. I'm had the same problem as the OP on my '93 2WD. Swapped the master cylinder and had a tough time getting it bled. Got some pedal back, and it would shift, but the shift point was basically the floorboard and then after sitting for a day or two couldn't get it to shift. I figured I had to get into the bellhousing to see if the slave was shot, so I'm replacing the clutch. Worked on it today but the bellhousing is still on (getting late) so opening it up in the morning and I'm hoping the the slave is in pieces so I'll know that was my problem.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 - 2000

[QUOTE=DIRTDOGXJ;1764973]This problem just started today. Everything was fine this morning. I left work to do a job and noticed the pedal had to be pushed in farther than usual to engage. I checked the fluid, it was fine. I finished my job and went to leave, now the pedal goes almost to the floor before it would engage. What should I look for when I tear into it in the morning? QUOTE]

Check to see if your flex line between the master and slave cylinders is bulging like a frog's throat when you put pressure on it. The interior tubing may have split and the exterior sheath is bulging and preventing a leak.

JM2CW.

Let us know what fixed it.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

What? dealership is the only place to get the sealed hydraulic system for $200 or somewhere online. Unless you found a different-then-stock slave, the system is a pain to bleed because there is no bleeder valve.

OP: if external, remove the slave from the bell housing and check for excessive movement in the clutch fork, this would indicate throwout bearing is failing.
The following users liked this post:
Keep the Jeeps (07-26-2020)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 AM

Alright, I definitely have the internal slave cylinder...errrrr. I had the girlfriend pump the clutch pedal and the flex line isn't bulging anywhere that I can see.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hankthetank
Go look and let us know...internal ain't so bad...the tranny and tcase is surprisingly light weight.
Uh, I disagree. Only because my jack failed and dropped said 'light' trans and tcase on my skull.

Was not fun, nor was it light. :/

Originally Posted by TheJerm
What? dealership is the only place to get the sealed hydraulic system for $200 or somewhere online. Unless you found a different-then-stock slave, the system is a pain to bleed because there is no bleeder valve.

OP: if external, remove the slave from the bell housing and check for excessive movement in the clutch fork, this would indicate throwout bearing is failing.
Who am I to believe? The guy at the parts counter at the dealership or...?

I mean, no offense, but its what this guy told me. I can give you their phone number and you can check for yourself?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

Uh, I disagree. Only because my jack failed and dropped said 'light' trans and tcase on my skull.

Was not fun, nor was it light. :/
Crappy! I guess anything metal falling on your head would suck lol

Quick Reply: My clutch pedal goes almost to the floor before barely engaging....any ideas??