Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my axle swap

Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default my axle swap

So this weekend i am hoping to go pick up my axle that i found, its a ford 8.8 with 3.55 gears open. So i just wanna double check in my own words so it makes sense to me what i gotta do to it to get it ready to install. I have to set the pinion angle, i have been told 15 degrees is a good number please let me know yes or no, then i just set the anti wrap perches (doing the M.O.R.E install kit) level on and weld em in place, then i am going to bring up the shock mounts so they don't hang down should be fun haha, then i just throw that bad boy under the jeep, i am pretty sure i have to get something for the drive shaft to fit from spicer (PN 2-2-1379)? well i hope this makes sense and if i am totally off let me know please, i have been readying how too's and this is what i got outta it.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87

I am not sure what 8.8 you are getting, but as far as I know the only ones that came under an explorer are either 3.73, or 4.10. I might be wrong so dont take that as bible, you might want to check the width though.

15* doesnt sound right. YOu want to set your pinion angle to be within 2* of what your t-case out put is. The best way to do this is to mock it up under your rig, making sure it is under the rig as straight as possible, with it centered under the rig dimmensionally.
Once you get it centered, you have to set weight down on axle, and set the pinion angle.
As for mounting the shock mounts you have to work with how long your shocks are, if you mount the mounts even with the tubes, you will more then likely bottom your shocks out on up travel going down the road.

As for the Companion flange.. depending on your driveshaft (should be spicer1310 style) that is the flange you need.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up, why does the weight of the xj have to be on the axle all how too's i have read they have the axle on a stand and just do the pinion angle on that. As for the gears thats what auburn car-repair and off road told me they have in stock. any one chim in on this?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

If the weight isnt on the springs how are you going to be able to get an accurate pinion angle? I have always lowered the car back down and used a floor or bottle jack to move pinion angle back up. After tacking perches in place.. slide axle back out and then burn them in.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 PM

i have been told there is a tool, how do u lower the leafs to the axle and be able to move it it and slide it out, can i put my tires on it so i can roll it around, i was planning on making and axle stand then use this tool to measure the pinion angle. if u want could u pm me a lil better instructions sorry if i sound like a complete idiot i am really not haha.

this is the how too i am using its the best one out there i have found:
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2003/xj88/

Last edited by 1990cherokee; 12-02-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Maybe I am not explaining it right.

Of course you have axle with no perches.
1. take axle center it under the leaf springs, then get equal distance from brake backing plates to leaf springs on both sides.
2. NOw with spring perches and u-bolts and spring plates in place loosely but snug, place tires on axle, and lower weight onto axle.
3. Then measure t-case output angle. Then using a bottle jack/or floor jack make angles parrallel.
4. verify axle is still in the right spot side to side.
5. PLace a strong tack on both sides of perches.
6. I prefer to remove axle and burn perches in good. I also try and weld as much as possible on the inside of the perches.

I hope that explains it better. This is one of the most common questions out there and needs to be heard by all considering. This is my method, some ppl have different ones. This is how I have done mutiple axle swaps on MJ's mostly but principle is the same.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L HO

explorer 8.8's come with 3.55, 3.73, and 410. some had limited slips as well. if you have an SYE, you will want to point the pinion up towards the transfercase, about 1 degree below the driveshaft angle. if you dont have an SYE, you want the pinion angle to be pretty much level (just like the transfercase output shaft).
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

I have never seen an explorer 8.8 with 3.55's. The only time I have seen that ratio is in full size ford trucks. Thatnks for telling us that.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:36 AM

read these links and it will explain it all. You dont need to buy a new u joint flange. Take the one off the explorer driveshaft and use it.
The RUFFSTUFF kit is cheaper than the MORE kit.

8.8 Axle Swap -Setup Data - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

8.8 FACTS, HOW-TO'S

Cherokee 8.8 Rear Axle Swap

BC4x4.COM 8.8 XJ swap

8.8 Swap - Great Lakes 4x4.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by PingPong

1. take axle center it under the leaf springs, then get equal distance from brake backing plates to leaf springs on both sides.
2. NOw with spring perches and u-bolts and spring plates in place loosely but snug, place tires on axle, and lower weight onto axle.
3. Then measure t-case output angle. Then using a bottle jack/or floor jack make angles parrallel.
6. I prefer to remove axle and burn perches in good. I also try and weld as much as possible on the inside of the perches.

I hope that explains it better. This is one of the most common questions out there and needs to be heard by all considering. This is my method, some ppl have different ones. This is how I have done mutiple axle swaps on MJ's mostly but principle is the same.
Thanks make it alot easier, and understand it better and yes those are the most common questions. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rmart30
read these links and it will explain it all. You dont need to buy a new u joint flange. Take the one off the explorer driveshaft and use it.
The RUFFSTUFF kit is cheaper than the MORE kit.

8.8 Axle Swap -Setup Data - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

8.8 FACTS, HOW-TO'S

Cherokee 8.8 Rear Axle Swap

BC4x4.COM 8.8 XJ swap

8.8 Swap - Great Lakes 4x4.
Thanks for those, i have read em all already thats why i am confident it will go well i just was confused about the angle crap haha not good with that haha...happen to have the link to the ruffstuff?
Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L HO

I have never seen an explorer 8.8 with 3.55's. The only time I have seen that ratio is in full size ford trucks. Thatnks for telling us that.
used to own one with that ratio. here is the list of door codes and the corresponding ratios:

Explorer
Door Code
41..... Open 8.8".......... 3.27
42..... Open 8.8"..... ..... 4.10
43..... Open 8.8"..... ..... 3.08
44..... Open 8.8"..... ..... 3.73
45..... Open 8.8"..... ..... 3.55
46..... Open 8.8"..... ..... 3.73
D1..... L/S 8.8"..... ..... 3.27
D2..... L/S 8.8"..... ..... 4.10
D4..... L/S 8.8"..... ..... 3.73
D5..... L/S 8.8"..... ..... 3.73

also, the axle will have a tag on it telling what gears it has. or you can turn the yoke and see how many turns of the drive shaft it would take for the wheels to turn once.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 PM

ruff stuff kit.........http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...ine-p-186.html
Old 12-15-2009, 11:38 PM

Okay so i got my dad to buy me a new lift for x-mas. should i wait to install that life with the SYE before i start doing my measuring for this axle swap?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Registered Users

Year: 91 with lots of 01' parts
Engine: 01' 4.0L

this is the way i do it to....i feel like im getting a more accurate angle with the axle under the jeep.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my axle swap