Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My 97 with 128 I bought this weekeknd

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default My 97 with 128 I bought this weekeknd

I just found a 97 jeep in amazing condition especially for Midwest standards. My lifted 01 blew a rod so I had to find something fast and just about stole this 97 from California with 128K on the clock and zero rust. So I couldnt pass it up for $2000 even though it is a 2WD. So I am thinking as a project of using my 01 as a donor and converting to 4WD. I have read mixed reviews about this and nothing current with updates. I am attaching some pics of my $2000 find and would value opinions on what to do. It kills me to part with something so clean and I really would love to convert it since it is rare to find one in this kind of shape. The interior in almost mint and no usual rips in seats as these are famous for. The only real wear on the vehicle is sun fade on the fender flares from the Cali sun and the headliner was replaced by the previous owner for the same reason. Thoughts???

Old 06-04-2017, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

hmm the 4wd is up to you personally if you arent gonna off road as much it isnt worth all the labor but you can do it if you wish. Also since you have 2 jeeps like that id swap in any luxury bits and pieces from your other jeep into that one such as cruise and others if that one doesnt have it also id swap that cluster out with a full one. its beautiful nonetheless. but the 4wd swap will be a very big one to do. Follow this guys vids

And then a different user did this too in this vid:

Looks very involved as well i am sure there are more videos on this tho.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Eevee , I really do need 4x4 in the winter here in Michigan and I would off road it as well. Looking at prices on Ebay for a jeep in as good as shape as this one they are going for alot more money than it would cost for me to just pay to have it done. So I will check out the videos and decide if I will attempt it or pay someone.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:58 PM
CF Veteran

gotcha, yeah thats a must in michigan lol. to me it is a very big task to do i havent watched all the videos but i seem to remember you need to cut a few things to make it fit and swap the front axle into it. im not sure if you can afford downtime for to long but if you have the cash id let a shop swap it because itll be done with the right tools. but dont let me stop you if you are very mechanical go right ahead im not experienced to do that big and involved task myself im afraid ill do something wrong and itll fall apart lol. plus i wouldnt even know where to begin, also with simple hand tools its difficult. but i can tell you an impact wrench will be your very best friend with potential rusty bolts.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

DOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIT!

I converted mine last year. Wasn't hard at all.... ESPECIALLY when you have a donor Jeep for the swap. Very very worthwhile swap.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

What all did you have to do and cut?
Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Cut? You don't have to cut anything.

4wd Transmission
Transfer case
4wd front axle
4wd front and rear driveshafts
TC lever, linkage, and shift gate

That's really all there is to it. There's a plate covering the hole where the transfer case shifter goes. Unscrew them from the floor and screw the shifter in... that might be what you're thinking you have to cut.... but yeah no cutting. Unplug harnesses, unbolt axles, driveshafts, and transmission, and bolt the new parts up.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

ohhhh nvm youre correct i was thinking of another car for some stupid reason. they all should be swappable as every other thing mostly is on jeeps lol. most likely have to buy new hardware and such right?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

It's recommended, but if your hardware is in good shape, you can reuse it. The suspension bolts aren't torque-to-yield (that I'm aware of), but u-bolts should be replaced when changing leaf springs.

If your hardware looks like you found it at the bottom of a deep-sea wreck, don't even think about re-using it.